60's Omega NSW Government Railway Pocket Watch
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By base615
  • 1 Post By Chascomm
  • 1 Post By trim

Thread: 60's Omega NSW Government Railway Pocket Watch

60's Omega NSW Government Railway Pocket Watch

Hi Guys,

a couple of people requested in another thread that I post this. I just picked up this 60's Omega pocket watch issued to the (now defunct) New South Wales Government Railways.

The movement is cal. 161 with a serial dating it to approximately 1966. In addition to the NSWGR printed dial, the back of the case has been engraved with what I assume to be an internal asset number.

Hope it's interesting.

Cheers,

Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images

bubba48 and busmatt like this.
    Omega: 1965 Seamaster 300 (165.024) | 1966 Constellation 'C' (168.017) | 1998 Speedmaster Pro (3570.50) | 2000 Speedmaster Pro (3592.50 with Mitsukoshi Mod) | 2014 Seamaster Professional Diver 300M (212.30.41.20.03.001) | 2015 Seamaster Professional Diver 300M (212.30.41.20.03.003)

Other: 1995 CWC G10

Re: 60's Omega NSW Government Railway Pocket Watch

Interesting. This must be one of Omega's last pocket watches...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Very interesting. Now you need to research the fact that Australian railroads had official railroad time service watches. The movement looks to be in good shape, but is not of the highest grade Omega could have delivered. Please update when you know more.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    Very interesting. Now you need to research the fact that Australian railroads had official railroad time service watches. The movement looks to be in good shape, but is not of the highest grade Omega could have delivered. Please update when you know more.
    Quoting from What to Collect? :

In conclusion, here is an example of what, in my opinion, is a perfect watch to collect - especially if you are on a tight budget.

The New South Wales Government Railways (NSWGR) was the department in charge of the NSW Government's railways from 1855 to 1972. After a major railway incident that occurred in the US, the NSW Government ordered that every train driver and station master to be issued with a precision time-keeper - a pocket watch. Batches of railroad watches were ordered from the American Watch Company - Waltham, Massachusetts as the NSWGR expected only the best railroad watch money can buy for their staff.

Every issued pocket watch in NSW had its individual number engraved on the case back and some examples also had the owner's name. In addition, train drivers were also issued with a gun, bearing the same number as one engraved on their watch. Indeed, those times were turbulent.

Here is a photo of the NSWGR pocket watch from the year 1901.

Since my arrival in Australia, I have personally worked on not more than 3 or 4 examples of the NSW issued railroad watches for overhaul purposes. As you might imagine, those time pieces are fairly rare nowadays, but those who know what they are looking for can still find good working examples of the NSW issues railroad watches.

But that is not all: If luck is on your side, you might even find one NSW GR watch for under $500! So what more could you ask for? A great watch with a great history, fitted with a superbly manufactured mechanism at a bargain price! And enjoyment and satisfaction of doing research on such a fascinating subject is a priceless experience in itself.
    And from a completed ebay auction description:

You are dealing with a retired watchmaker,gemologist and spare parts re-seller.:
    Original and GENUINE . antique omega pocket watch , new south wales railway official train timer , , white enmial dial with sub seconds , orignal blue steel hands, .,, signed omega N S W TD , swiss made , , movement cal 161 omega swiss 15 jewels back case GR12691 see pic for details ,,, running not tested or timed .
    Winding: crown
    Metal: nickle steel
    Measurements: 50 mm approx
    Case Reference: 121 1716
    Overall Condition : , . SEE pic for details ,
    Notes: 100% Original clear out time suit use or collection
    base615 likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Can you tell me what w w means on the back of my 161 omega nsw gr means

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff68 View Post
    Can you tell me what w w means on the back of my 161 omega nsw gr means
    I have zero experience with the Omega version, but have researched the Waltham version quite a bit(and finally managed to buy one last summer). I believe that it was the initials of the person to whom the watch was assigned.

(gratuitous photos)

Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Hmmm, I think I have one of these somewhere - will look and dig it out.

Here we go - Omega - marked NSW TD for Transport Department. Apparently things could be marked with either this or GR - from mirrors to carriage seats. It is marked inside on the curvette with 1944 - so late WWII issue. Some discussion on the names here: NSWTD...What does it stand for? (Page 1) / New South Wales / Forums / Railpage

Last edited by trim; March 29th, 2016 at 08:02.
    joeuk likes this.

Thread Information