60's vintage Titoni

Thread: 60's vintage Titoni

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    18

    60's vintage Titoni

    Hello there,

    I just wanted to ask about a vintage 60's vintage Titoni I picked up recently. Does anybody know what the movement should be signed with? It is a Rotomatic, and, accordingly the movement is signed with 'TITONI ROTOMATIC 25 JEWELS SWISS MADE' but I read recently that if a Titoni Rotomatic is signed Rotomatic on the rotor, it could be fake. The rotor is somewhat dirty, but I put that down to age.

    Anyone know about this?

    Here's a picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images


  2. #2
    Member Marrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    7,743

    Re: 60's vintage Titoni

    Quote Originally Posted by mark-dj View Post
    Hello there,

    I just wanted to ask about a vintage 60's vintage Titoni I picked up recently. Does anybody know what the movement should be signed with? It is a Rotomatic, and, accordingly the movement is signed with 'TITONI ROTOMATIC 25 JEWELS SWISS MADE' but I read recently that if a Titoni Rotomatic is signed Rotomatic on the rotor, it could be fake. The rotor is somewhat dirty, but I put that down to age.

    Anyone know about this?

    Here's a picture:
    Mine says Rotomatic. I think some say Etarotor - maybe someone else will know more.
    Attached Images Attached Images



    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

    Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)


    Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    18

    Re: 60's vintage Titoni

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Mine says Rotomatic. I think some say Etarotor - maybe someone else will know more.
    That's a nice Titoni. Good to know your rotor is also signed 'Rotomatic' - and your rotor looks as dirty as mine!

    Do you know of any way I can have the markers sorted out too? Looking closely at it it looks like some dodgy refinishing job so one of the markers doesn't quite line up. I should have looked more closely at the dial when I got it but I paid next to nothing for it and I did like the design. Not a classic vintage buy by any stretch of the imagination...

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Marrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    7,743

    Re: 60's vintage Titoni

    Quote Originally Posted by mark-dj View Post
    That's a nice Titoni. Good to know your rotor is also signed 'Rotomatic' - and your rotor looks as dirty as mine!

    Do you know of any way I can have the markers sorted out too? Looking closely at it it looks like some dodgy refinishing job so one of the markers doesn't quite line up. I should have looked more closely at the dial when I got it but I paid next to nothing for it and I did like the design. Not a classic vintage buy by any stretch of the imagination...
    No, sorry. Getting dials sorted out is not easy or cheap.
    Mine cost £5 ($10).

    Titoni, btw, has quite a long heritage as a company. See:

    http://www.titoni.com/index.php?id=2
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

    Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)


    Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

  6. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    18

    Re: 60's vintage Titoni

    Yeah, I've had a look at that before; I've always been keen on Swiss brands that aren't that well known. A nice watch is a nice watch, regardless of whether it's fashionable or not...(although obviously I do still like Longines, Omega etc....)

  7. #6
    Member Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    18,128

    Re: 60's vintage Titoni

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    No, sorry. Getting dials sorted out is not easy or cheap.
    Mine cost £5 ($10).

    Titoni, btw, has quite a long heritage as a company. See:

    http://www.titoni.com/index.php?id=2
    Unfortunately that brand name has been used extensively in what I am fairly sure is a fake NOS vintage market coming from Asian vendors. Since the company is now Asian owned, it may be with their tacit cooperation and thus may not a genuine copyright/trademark violation.

    But this one looks old enough to be real!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  8. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    18

    Re: 60's vintage Titoni

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Unfortunately that brand name has been used extensively in what I am fairly sure is a fake NOS vintage market coming from Asian vendors. Since the company is now Asian owned, it may be with their tacit cooperation and thus may not a genuine copyright/trademark violation.

    But this one looks old enough to be real!!
    Hmm...this is worrying, I got mine in Asia! I did have a quick look at the movement which, while being far from a an expert, seemed to not set any alarm bells ringing. I was aware that Titoni's main market was traditionally Asia so I thought it was a genuine vintage (although as I've said, it seems to have been refinished).

    What does a fake NOS Titoni look like then? I can imagine that this is why I read about 'Rotomatic' signed rotors possibly indicating a fake.

  9. #8
    Member Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    18,128

    Re: 60's vintage Titoni

    Quote Originally Posted by mark-dj View Post
    Hmm...this is worrying, I got mine in Asia! I did have a quick look at the movement which, while being far from a an expert, seemed to not set any alarm bells ringing. I was aware that Titoni's main market was traditionally Asia so I thought it was a genuine vintage (although as I've said, it seems to have been refinished).

    What does a fake NOS Titoni look like then? I can imagine that this is why I read about 'Rotomatic' signed rotors possibly indicating a fake.
    I do not believe yours to be a fake. Generally what is being done is a spares stock of NOS movements is being encased in vintage looking modern cases and dials. Or sometimes vintage watches are given a clean up and a refinished dial and sold as NOS. These are much easier to detect. And they come from Manila or India in most cases I have detected.

    The former NOS fakes can be detected by watching markets over time. I find it hard to believe a cache of NOS ESA 9162 Titonis would turn up in number at one time and only in Asia and only 9162s - no 9164s ... That's one example. (Did Titoni even have a tuning fork watch in the 70's??)
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    18

    Re: 60's vintage Titoni

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Unfortunately that brand name has been used extensively in what I am fairly sure is a fake NOS vintage market coming from Asian vendors. Since the company is now Asian owned, it may be with their tacit cooperation and thus may not a genuine copyright/trademark violation.

    But this one looks old enough to be real!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I do not believe yours to be a fake. Generally what is being done is a spares stock of NOS movements is being encased in vintage looking modern cases and dials. Or sometimes vintage watches are given a clean up and a refinished dial and sold as NOS. These are much easier to detect. And they come from Manila or India in most cases I have detected.

    The former NOS fakes can be detected by watching markets over time. I find it hard to believe a cache of NOS ESA 9162 Titonis would turn up in number at one time and only in Asia and only 9162s - no 9164s ... That's one example. (Did Titoni even have a tuning fork watch in the 70's??)
    Thanks for the reassurance on that.

    A tuning-fork Titoni, that sounds interesting...although as you say, probably unlikely!

  11. #10
    Member Marrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    7,743

    Re: 60's vintage Titoni

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Since the company is now Asian owned,
    Where did you get that? As far as I can tell its still Swiss owned. But with sales almost exclusively to the Far East. From their website:

    It is one of the few remaining independent watch enterprise, still in the hands of the family Schluep. The company is specialized in producing mechanical watches with its own in-house movement assembly.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

    Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)


    Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •