60's? Waltham Wristwatch Info

Thread: 60's? Waltham Wristwatch Info

60's? Waltham Wristwatch Info

I'm looking for any info on this Waltham. It's my dad's [still living, and he has no "emotional" attachment to the watch] and I believe it's from the 1960's. I found one on eBay [from a seller in Brazil] that looks identical, EXCEPT, both the Waltham logo on the face and the caseback are different.

The eBay watch has a 7 jewel movement [but being on eBay, it could be a Frankenwatch!]. I haven't opened the case to see what's inside, I'm afraid of marring case since I don't have any watchmaking tools. I've thought of using a knife blade, but none of mine are thin enough to get into the tiny indent on the back/side.

My two [main] questions are, is the watch from the 60's and should I open the case?

Please pardon the lint, it's amazing what a camera picks up in macro mode! [Note there are a few specks of dust under the crystal]
    Name:  8311007643_9b902cc78c_b.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  319.3 KB

Name:  8312050450_2c706c6770_b.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  271.8 KB

I'll be selling the watch on, either here or via eBay, so any relevant info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Randy

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: 60's? Waltham Wristwatch Info

Quote Originally Posted by theinterchange View Post
    I'm looking for any info on this Waltham. It's my dad's [still living, and he has no "emotional" attachment to the watch] and I believe it's from the 1960's. I found one on eBay [from a seller in Brazil] that looks identical, EXCEPT, both the Waltham logo on the face and the caseback are different.

The eBay watch has a 7 jewel movement [but being on eBay, it could be a Frankenwatch!]. I haven't opened the case to see what's inside, I'm afraid of marring case since I don't have any watchmaking tools. I've thought of using a knife blade, but none of mine are thin enough to get into the tiny indent on the back/side.

My two [main] questions are, is the watch from the 60's and should I open the case?

Please pardon the lint, it's amazing what a camera picks up in macro mode! [Note there are a few specks of dust under the crystal]

I'll be selling the watch on, either here or via eBay, so any relevant info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Randy
    If you do a forum search for Waltham you will find a few threads about these sort of watches. It is a French made Waltham post-dating the end of the old American Waltham company and the farming out of the branding rights around the world. The movement should be by FE and is fairly low-grade.

Best not risk opening it if you're not confident.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    If you do a forum search for Waltham you will find a few threads about these sort of watches. It is a French made Waltham post-dating the end of the old American Waltham company and the farming out of the branding rights around the world. The movement should be by FE and is fairly low-grade.

Best not risk opening it if you're not confident.
    Thanks, I knew it wasn't "valuable", just wanted a little light shed on anything I should know before passing it on. I'm sure it's the uninformed feeling that because it's "old" it's "valuable". Thankfully, I don't fall into that line of reasoning. I expected it to be some farmed-out low-end affair, my grandparents wouldn't have spent too much on a watch.

My initial search for Waltham posed a time consuming effort with no real bearing on which direction I should head. Now I can narrow my search to relevant topics.

The case is in good condition considering it was worn by my dad [who is normally quite rough on things] when he was young, so I don't want to do anything to mar it now.

Thanks again for the info, it was as I expected, and helpful.

Randy

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A bit of an update:

After having set the watch aside [and subsequently forgetting to look in to it more] I opened the back to have a peek at the movement.

It's a 7 jewel affair. Below are a few pics for references sake.
    Name:  8435113443_db4c2c7574_b.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  419.8 KB

Name:  8436206874_658f25c0af_b.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  411.7 KB
    Again, I'm not under the misguided impression I have something valuable, just seeking info. I'd rather pass it along to someone who'd appreciate it... and put the proceeds toward something I'll actually wear!

Randy

Thread Information