'69 Seiko BellMatic overhaul
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: '69 Seiko BellMatic overhaul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'69 Seiko BellMatic overhaul

I always loved look of this watch. I bought it years ago before I knew much at all from a pretty honest philipno seller for a good price. (he did second rate repair work but I'm not blaming him as he did not misrepresent watch afaik. Part of my wis learning curve)

The exterior is all original and very fine but the 6030 was a big mess-something I didnt know at the time. It only worked for 2 weeks and has sat ever since. Mostly moisture from tropic enviorns I'm guessing. Anyway-I waited almost 3 years before seeking out a vintage watchmaker who could handle it and he is a member here. So-I'm celebrating with a photo of my newly renovated and freshly overhauled 6030 with a photo. This is one of those watches that isnt terribly valuable but continues to increase in price while great examples get more scarce. I do think that one day in the future they will be highly prized by many collectors . This is also on my list of 'never-sell' as it just hits me in the right spot. The cushion case/gold dial w black bzl just says -"the 70s are coming!!" I also have a gold dialed 'pogue' on its way which I think will make a perfect late 60s duo. So;
    Last edited by DaBaeker; January 15th, 2011 at 02:06.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Re: '69 Seiko BellMatic overhaul

I have one from antique show that had setting problem. These are not little hummers but real bell ringers. 3 or more layers of parts. Not easy to work on. Not sure if mine is properly fully operational, but works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; January 16th, 2011 at 13:18.

I missed one on bay 3 weeks ago exactly like yours ( the more scarce 27 jewel mvmnt) but the dial said: Office-Matic. I thought it might be pretty collectable but sonebody wanted it for the tune of over $250 and they got it. And yes-I couldnt find anyone in the Philly/NYC area to work on oit but a member here PMd me and 3 weeks later its back. He said the movement was a mess and he had to fabricate some small part for the clacker but it fully operational and noisy
    Last edited by DaBaeker; January 15th, 2011 at 06:58.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I got mine at a flea market. Works flawlessly, but is awaiting a service.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    I couldnt find anyone in the Philly/NYC area to work on oit but a member here PMd me and 3 weeks later its back. He said the movement was a mess and he had to fabricate some small part for the clacker but it fully operational and noisy
    You say clacker. Mine is a clearly ringing bell sound. I would like to get it serviced. Could you refer us to what must be a capable person?

Nice Bell!! I just picked one up yesterday (I have 3 others) 2 of these were serviced by Bob Thayer, the other was from Noah at XW (Ten Watches), the Bell Matic is a very nice watch....check out the web site dedicated to these at SEIKO Bell-matics Page

The new one cost me $18!! The cushion cased ones are my favorite!
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    You say clacker. Mine is a clearly ringing bell sound. I would like to get it serviced. Could you refer us to what must be a capable person?
    A-Mine use to ring a bit more bell-like but the alarm unit had to be rebulit in such a way as it diminished its dinging. Seiko doesnt use a fixed post as a strike like many other alarms do so the sound is influence a lot more by the postioning of the internal components. Not a big deal as its still quite loud.
    send me a PM for info

Bellmatics rule!

Last edited by WIS_Chronomaster; January 16th, 2011 at 10:56.
    Makinit likes this.

This thread is starting to make me regret not bidding a little higher on an "Office-Matic" 27j variation (looked a lot like wis-chrn's) that may have been more rare than I thought. It went for a little more than $140.

You were correct DaBeaker, it was a very rare Business-Bell, and a very early one with a 7 digit serial number..... so even rarer. I was the lucky bidder!

It works well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information