70 yr old invicta

Thread: 70 yr old invicta

70 yr old invicta

Hi all-

I am a total novice and not willing to screw up this watch by opening the back (yet). This was my grandfather's watch that he bought in the middle east 70 yrs ago. Anybody have any leads as to value or anything else about it without me having to open it up? I know it's a shot in the dark. thanks.

Edit: Here's the back photo. Thanks.

Name:  pocketwatch.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  239.5 KB
    Last edited by zeak; December 10th, 2013 at 03:06.

Re: 70 yr old invicta

It is indeed.

I don't think there is anybody who can give you information with the recent presentation. Especially while Invicta took the direction of making gadgets, not watches anymore :)

However until the 70's I've seen some decent timepieces from the maker. If its just 70 years old, it shouldn't be complicated to flip the back but if it has brownish rusty color hour marks don't open it at all. If it's from WW II era it might be well with radium and you don't want to expose yourself to the dust once opened. Do post a photo....

Thanks. Will do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The modern Invicta is, I believe, a Miami based sales organization which contracts all over the world for assemblage of models. The models predominately are Sino contracted but some are full scale Swiss Made watches of good repute. There is a Dubois Depraz/2824 based chronograph which is routinely found swimming in the 'Bay. (It usually goes for about 60-70% of the identical movement assembled under almost any other brand.)

The old Invicta was a Swiss organization that came from the fine tradition of Swiss assemblers that retailed to jewelers. They never heard of cable TV shopping channels...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

ttt for new pic above

Quote Originally Posted by zeak View Post
    ttt for new pic above
    Would love to see a picture of the front of that watch as well..

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Hi All,
    I'd like to contribute my Invicta watch to the discussion. Circa 1950's, featuring an unsigned FHF 175 movement, fitted snugly to a Handley case.

Perhaps a distant relation to the modern Invicta brand....Name:  PC101712.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  200.6 KBName:  PC101707.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  197.2 KB

I had the front pic on the original post but it has disappeared. Here it is again:

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  98.3 KB

Looks like a 17 jeweled winder from the 50s... probably an ETA.... searching Dr. Ranfft's database will tell you for sure.

I have no idea on value ... eBay does that not us. But not much. Most buyers are afraid of older watches. For some reason they think paying ten times the price for new ones is a good deal. It's almost as if they were under some mind control spell that causes them to behave irrationally LOL
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

thanks!

Thread Information