80,s vintage texas instruments watch - Page 3
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 80,s vintage texas instruments watch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: 80,s vintage texas instruments watch

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    They make the watch. You could buy it as just a watch but it has the advantage of being fully programmable by the owner so is marketed as a development system. HAQ has had a running project on it spearheaded by member Catalin. He has constructed firmware that makes it the most accurate watch in the world (excluding watches that get their time from a network somewhere -- those watches are network devices not standalone watches ).

It is slick and cheap. $50 for the worlds's most advanced watch...

Attachment 1135740
    For a collector of mechanical watches, it's kind of painful to say, but that HAQ project is real horology.

You can make a 6-axis tourbillon that plays Dixie on tiny chimes whenever the moon is full, and you can call it fine watchmaking. You can even call it mechanical art. But it's not really advancing the science of timekeeping or applying such advances to a practical end, so it's not really horology.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    For a collector of mechanical watches, it's kind of painful to say, but that HAQ project is real horology.

You can make a 6-axis tourbillon that plays Dixie on tiny chimes whenever the moon is full, and you can call it fine watchmaking. You can even call it mechanical art. But it's not really advancing the science of timekeeping or applying such advances to a practical end, so it's not really horology.
    On behalf of the HAQ forum, I thank you for the compliment. Moderating Vintage and there gives a view of both ends of the spectrum of technology. But there is a strong similarity - Vintage is the history of trying to advance timekeeping and HAQ is an area where it is currently active.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

"Time changes everything except something within us which is always surprised by change."

Thomas Hardy
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have an old TIMEX SSQ with me. I had one as teen but the strap was too small.I recently found it again and it resides on a Fossil fleiger strap .I also have some old Led watches but they are on consignment at a nearby shop.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information