Abe Lincoln's watch

Thread: Abe Lincoln's watch

Abe Lincoln's watch

As president, Abe passed on fine watches received as gifts and used his own pre1962 civil war silver cased key wind 11J William Ellery. A 1923 ad shows one like it but with Waltham name drawn on the dial. Shown here is the authentic actual silver twin to the real one at about same age without any Waltham marking anywhere. On better grades, American Watch Co., Waltham, Mass. marking was used. Boston Watch Co. and William Ellery model became part of AWWco. It was not the lowest grade for the future
    Waltham. There were 7J models. Anyway it is still a good performer thus supporting the old 1923 ad claim for grandfathers using them. There were many hundreds made and are still available cheap. Some history has it as a hunting case model, but most and the ad show it correctly as open face.
    Modified good movement photo did not load. I sometimes cannot load a digitally corrected image. Why? Second click on image for details. Added 1919 Maximus shown in ad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; March 15th, 2010 at 15:27.

Re: Abe Lincoln's watch

That's gorgeous; wish I had one. Maybe will someday.

I've heard it that Abe's watch was serial 67613, which is actually newer then the one you show. At that point, it was the "American Watch Company" (often shortened to AWCo); Waltham was just the plant location until 1885 when they renamed to American Waltham Watch Company (AWWCo) with Ezra Fitch as president.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Appreciate corrections. Writing from memory with 79 yr. brain not good thing to do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    Appreciate corrections. Writing from memory with 79 yr. brain not good thing to do.
    It's what keeps you with any brains at all. Keep on writing from memory
    I'm a few years behind you, but hope to still have my marbles then, too.
    "My grail showed up today"

This is why I love the internet. I store my memory on webpages, which Google kindly indexes and searches for me.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I admit to selfish use of this Forum to help as a store of info about any of my watches left for inheritors. Hope it does not crash. I have kept a catalog of images with descriptions. That is where images here come from.
    However, I really do enjoy all comments and expert advice I get here. Watch people are nice. Also intelligent. My errors and misguided enthusiasms are politely tolerated. This Forum is definitely an enjoyable experience for an old man.

Thread Information