Abouth Kelek
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Abouth Kelek

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Abouth Kelek

Dear all,
    Kelek interest brand and whats mechanism is inside. In addition to brand names do not see any label on the mechanism or not familiar with Vintage watches, and I did not. So ask for help if someone knows something about it ... if this is a Breitling mechanism or not?
    Attached Images Attached Images

vlad.ica likes this.
    My watches,my love.....

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Abouth Kelek

Correct - well, sort of! It is a Breitling/Heuer/Buren/Dubois-Depraz mechanism. The world's second automatic chronograph movement (I can see the world's first in your avatar!): base by Buren, module by D-D, funding by the other two.

Kelek actually brought out their own automatic chronograph a little later together with Tenor-Dorley and Brac. That one has really funny totalizers: 11:00, 2:30 and 6:00 (Cal. TDB-K 1369).

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: TDB 1369 (TD 1335)
    milanzmaj likes this.

Thank you for your wast response.
    My watches,my love.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

beautiful B11 caliber. Since Kelek is integrated with Breitling they started their inhouse movements. Kelek is one of the brands I would love to see in my collection.
    milanzmaj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Correct - well, sort of! It is a Breitling/Heuer/Buren/Dubois-Depraz mechanism. The world's second automatic chronograph movement (I can see the world's first in your avatar!): base by Buren, module by D-D, funding by the other two.
    Now, now, let's not go down that road again!

"So what can we glean from our investigation into the great race of 1969? Some answers are easy: Zenith first introduced the automatic chronograph watch to the public, while Seiko’s watch was the first to appear on the market. And while Heuer and Breitling were close behind the others in production, they were probably the first to put a plan for such a watch in motion. All of them made 1969 a watershed year in watchmaking history." - Gisbert L. Brunner, WatchTime Magazine - "The Great Race of '69" - December 2009 Issue, Page 113"

I think I have an ad for a Kelek here somewhere...ah yes, here it is:

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    milanzmaj likes this.

Well, Heuer & Co weren't even the first to put their plan into motion. They only started in the mid sixties whereas Zenith started around 1962. It took Zenith seven years to develop the El Primero (modern calibres take 2-3 years) which shows the enormous difficulties of developing a truly integrated automatic chronograph on the one hand and Zenith's uncompromising refusal to cut corners in the development process on the other. The result was a movement decades ahead of its time - no wonder it is still in production today.....

What Gisbert Brunner actually referred to ("...first to put such a plan into motion...") was just the thinking process. Heuer had the idea of such a movement all the way back in the fifties when the first Buren microrotor calibre (Cal. 1000) appeared. This quickly proved wholly inadequate for the job of supporting the module (and the successor 1281 wasn't much better): not enough winding capacity, weak mainspring, etc. So they shelved the plan and dug it up when the second version came out.

Thanks for the piccie of the Kelek chronograph (must be a Cal. 15, judging by the permanent seconds hand). It looks weird with the small seconds hand redirected a little towards 10:00.....

Hartmut Richter

I'm sure there were many watch companies that "thought" about automatic chronographs long before Zenith or Heuer. Maybe even had failed prototypes as well. Of the three contenders, there is no question that Zenith had the best design.

It's all about what how you define being "first". I define it by which watch was the first watch avaliable for sale to the general public.

That was Seiko,
    gatorcpa
    Last edited by gatorcpa; September 20th, 2012 at 21:07.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    It's all about what how you define being "first". I define it by which watch was the first watch avaliable for sale to the general public.

That was Seiko,
    gatorcpa
    And I would define it as the first functional item of that type in existence. And that was Zenith!

(In the end, we will probably just have to agree to differ.....)

Hartmut Richter

like new :)

vintageguy, Berkut and de lucca like this.
    My watches,my love.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    And I would define it as the first functional item of that type in existence. And that was Zenith!

(In the end, we will probably just have to agree to differ.....)

Hartmut Richter
    Yes and the first el primeros were offered for sale in late 69
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information