WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Accutron model help

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  ArchieGoodwin 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the model of Accutron I have circled with crown at the 3 o’clock position? It does not appear to have a sweep hand. Men’s watch.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Accutron F45153 (google around for that one)

Should have a date code with the letter 'N ...' = 1970 plus a few years

There have been Accutron models with just the hour and the minute, like f.i. the Bulova cal 2183F, which was made around this time

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Bulova 2183F
Which I have always thought was stupid as one of the big selling points was that the Accutron was more accurate then other watches of the time. You cannot set the watch to the closest second without the second hand.

In any case the real jewel is the gold colored 214 if it works

#4 ·
The one you want is the one in the middle as 214 are sought after.

Remember the battery in the accutron tuning fork is positioned differently then other watches. On a regular quartz the battery is installed with the + facing up top. The accutrons have the + side on the bottom with the negative side facing upwards (exact opposite of ones in a quartz)

#5 ·
Oceankid, the model on the left I'm pretty certain is one which uses the 2210 tuning fork movement. The 2210 is the smallest of Accutron tuning fork movements, and if you visit Rob Berkiviscus excellent website (google "the Accutron page") you can learn about the movement in detail. The 2210 was designed and used for primarily small women's pieces, but there there were some men's pieces that it was used in as well. As you've noted, there was no second hand with this movement. It was designed that way, and there were no other variants, such as the 218 has the 2183 (no second hand), the 218d/2181 (date), 2182 (day/date), etc.

I have a rare and unique rectangular, Swiss sterling silver case model with gold bezel ring model that uses the 2210. Just needs to have a working 2210 (which I have) swapped in, or the existing movement repaired.

If you're just getting into Accutrons, I'd stick with the 214 and 218's, but I like to have all the different model movements in my collection. I have most of them covered.

Eric

Reactions: bsshog40
#7 ·
I see the original poster hasn't returned with any comments, but in regards to your post above - we've not answered his question of "model." The "F45..." # that you responded about, with a similar (case material different, but same movement) watch, is simply a Bulova serial number and not a model number. The serial number is written on the outside of the caseback, while the case style number (which provides more info) is stamped or engraved on the inside of the caseback. For a model name (not likely named) or catalog number, one would have to search mybulova.com for old catalog entries, or advertisements for the identical watch. Also, collector Darold Hanson (sp?) has a reportedly very complete book on Accutrons, which may have information relating to this particular Accutron model.

Eric

#11 ·
Oceankid, the 2210 uses a 329 silver oxide, but it will be smaller in diameter than the original mercury battery. The battery strap should keep it in place. There is a spacer you may find that you can use around the battery but I've found it doesn't work well.

From your pic, batteries used in the Accutrons left to right - 344 (aka 350 or sr1136sw) for the 218d, 329 for the 2210, and a 387s Energizer for the 214. You can also save the plastic spacer from the 387s and later purchase a 394. Just use the spacer over the 394.

Also, again... as I write above, the number on the inside of the caseback isn't a model number, it's a case style number. The same case styles were used with different dials to create different models. The case style can be looked up in a catalog to provide factory parts numbers like crystal, crown, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.