Activac Deco watch

Thread: Activac Deco watch

Activac Deco watch

This arrived yesterday, it's a style I 've been after for a while though I would have preferred it in Stainless steel but we all know how difficult early cased Stainless watches can be to find.
    The clincher for me was the (fairly) unusual back.
    Size wise it is standard for its time ie small at 37mm x 30mm x10mm including crown.
    I fully wound it after opening it at around10:30 and I checked it this morning at 08:20 and it had just stopped at 08:15, it was running last night just after 22.00 and it had lost around 3 seconds according to the atomic clock during that 12 hour period...so not too bad.
    It's quite heavy being chrome plated brass, and the plating has seen better days but it has a pleasing look to it.
    The back unscrews with x4 stainless? screws and there is a black rubberised? gasket that seals the back.
    Internally the 15 j movement looks clean enough, the dial is pretty tidy with only a couple of marks and the hands retain their original lume.

Re: Activac Deco watch

Hi Stefano,

where did you get the name Activac? It is identical to my Pierce in every way, including the back and movement - but not the dial.

Photos for your comparison coming soon...

That's what it was listed as, I must admit Actvatics(correct spelling I believe)I have seen are round cased models made by Movado.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here you go...

Photos are bad because it is after 10pm. You can see it is pretty much identical to my Pierce Parashock. The movement is is Eclipse 10.5/Pierce 103 - ranfitt.

Back gasket in mine is lead, I would think yours would have been once as well.

No reason it couldn't have been sold to other makers. Just struck me as interesting, as yours is unmarked that I can see - and is almost the twin sister of this one. Even the hands are the same.

Presume yours is a redial due to lack of lume?

Nice watch
    Last edited by trim; October 10th, 2010 at 11:11.

Cool! as you say almost twins.

Great watches.

To my mind, a Pierce movement in a Pierce case is a Pierce.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I bow to ypour greater knowledge, a Pierce it isw then, re the dial if a redial it must be an old redial as it has age about it, but you could be right as you'd expect to see lumed numerals etc with lumed hands or what's the point?

Good movement and screwed in caseback~Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by stefano34 View Post
    I bow to ypour greater knowledge, a Pierce it isw then, re the dial if a redial it must be an old redial as it has age about it, but you could be right as you'd expect to see lumed numerals etc with lumed hands or what's the point?
    That's what I was hoping you would end up concluding. Marrick got in first - subtle? Nah. Hammer between the eyes

I doubt the vendor was intentionally trying to deceive. Besides the name on the dial the early Pierces had very scant markings - I guess because they were very distinctive in their own right at the time. Unless you were already familiar with these, it would be almost impossible to work it out from a sterile dial. I suspect he saw the 'M' stamped on the movement and went from there. No I don't know what the 'M' means either - but it ain't Movado.

In any case, a Pierce is nice - well made and interesting manufacturer with an in-house movement and Geneva striping to die for . Pierce is an underrated maker as is Movado - but Movado seem to be going up in price lately, so perhaps they have been discovered.
    Last edited by trim; October 10th, 2010 at 22:44.

Thread Information