Advice about a Favre Leuba Sea King
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By James A
  • 3 Post By Tomcat1960

Thread: Advice about a Favre Leuba Sea King

Advice about a Favre Leuba Sea King

So I've been learning about vintage mechanical watches for about six months now, admittedly having learned mostly by reading posts from you fellow forum members. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge and experience!

I've beem searching for a Favre Leuba since almost the get go but definitely did not want a crazy coloured redial and wanted to find one that didn't have a movement that looked pieced together from who knows where! I thought I had found one and purchased it and it arrived today. The seller claimed it was recently serviced and all original in perfect running order. However, the first thing that happened when I took it out of the packaging was the crystal fell out. The crown wound fine but it doesn't run. I also noticed that one of the two screws that holds the movement in place is missing and am wondering if this could be stopping it from running? If anyone can look at the pics and tell me if it looks good enough to fix and run I would appreciate it.
    - Mike

Re: Advice about a Favre Leuba Sea King

Hi,

You could try very gently to nudge the balance a couple of mill, this works for me to sometimes get a reluctant movement going. Be gentle and use a toothpick or similar on the outside of the wheel. If fully wound it should start right up with just this little effort. If no luck you might be in trouble. As you noticed screw at 6 is missing when compared with the good Dr.

Regards,

Now what kind of 'service' is that when the first thing to happen is the crystal popping out? A movement screw missing? Dirt on the dial?

Who 'serviced' it, anyway? A swineherd? To get a movement of which Dr. Ranfft used to say it assembles as easy as dropping its parts in a box and give it a good shake into such a sad state takes more than just negligence ...

I hope you didn't pay too much for it because you should give it to an able watchmaker who gets it running. I would not try to get it moving myself, as long as the whereabouts of that movement screw are unknown - it might end up easily in one of the more delicate areas of the watch, like the balance or between the barrels and cause even more damage.

In one thing you're right: the dial has not been painted (as one sees often on these watches) and maybe with some mild cleansing it will look beautiful again. Ask your able watchmaker about it

Best regards
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice. I don't think the missing screw is in the movement as on closer inspection of the pictures on the original seller's ad I now notice it is missing there as well. An oversight on my part (and clearly whoever "serviced" the watch).
    What would you use to clean the dial? I have once had to swap out a movement (on a Russian Vostok Komandirskie) so I have gotten to the point of having to remove and affix the hands from the dial so am confident I can do that part myself.
    - Mike

Hi Mike Your post at the start of this thread describes my situation too. I got interested in watches last year and started reading the forum threads and watching 'how to' videos on YouTube. I quite soon became interested in Favre-Leubas and kicked off with a redialled cal.253 Twin-Power Sea Chief, one of the notorious Indians, but for the pocket-money price I paid I was quite satisfied. I followed up with what was described as a Sea Chief but is, in fact a Sea King (cal.108) with the mixed Arabic/Roman numeral treatment. To be honest these were cheap and cheerful but the movements are quality. The movement in your Sea King is different from what's in mine - can you see the calibre number? I'd be interested to know what it is. My case is small, about 30mm (33mm with crown). Is yours the same? Oddly enough, mine too had a case screw missing.
    I also picked up a F-L Lavina with a cal.150 in-house movement and not a Lavina movement as I expected. I still haven't got my head round Favre-Leubas despite Dr. Ranfft's amazing resource.
    My latest F-L acquisition is a square(ish) F-L Geneve date watch with a cal.259 Twin-Power movement for which I paid the princely sum of £6. Described as ticking but hands not moving I wasn't expecting much but, apart from a rather sad dial, the watch winds and runs fine. I like good watches that are cheap (mainly because I'm on a fixed income) and there are some interesting watches out there, which won't win any prizes but are worthy of saving.
    My current project is a cal.601 Omega that I've re-cased in a NOS stainless case, with a cal.610 awaiting my ministrations.
    I've attached some pics (they won't win any prizes either!) of my little F-L collection. Keep us posted on your Sea King. Pics are 1. Lavina (non-Lavina) movement. 2. F-L cal.259. 3. Cal.253 Sea Chief. 4. Sea King masquerading as a Sea Chief. 5. The 259 with case and back. Anyone know the model?

JohnName:  F-LLavina-1.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  444.7 KBName:  F-L259-7.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  290.7 KBName:  F-L253Chief-1.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  385.6 KBName:  F-LChief1.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  285.4 KBName:  F-L4.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  608.6 KB

Thread Information