Advice on Omega service

Thread: Advice on Omega service

Advice on Omega service

Hi! I'm new to this forum and watch collecting as well. I recently started wearing an old Omega that I inherited from my father-in-law. It's a '55 Seamaster Calendar in Rosegold plate. It had a very worn Spiedel yellow gold band that I tossed for a cheap Hadley Roma brown leather band. The crystal has polished up nicely since I took these pictures. This watch keeps perfect time but to my knowledge has never been serviced or if it had it would have been 15-20yrs. ago. Should I find someone to do this soon or wait till it "needs" help. Also are there levels of service to choose from? Will just a basic clean and oil do? The dial and hands are a little discolored but I don't mind it. What would you all suggest? Thanks in advance, Robert

Last edited by Robertoe; September 28th, 2010 at 07:54.

Re: Advice on Omega service

I would go with just a clean and oil. You don't have to, but if You wear it more than just occasionally, You'd better have it cleaned. Dirt and oil combine to form a nasty abrasive paste.
    This is a very nice watch and a true classic!

Thanks for the advice! I have just recently started wearing it more than occasionally. There is something very satisfying about the feel of wearing a bumper movement! I will have to start looking for a watchmaker / serviceman in my area.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This Omega is worth to get a full service and I wouldn't wear it before it's serviced anymore because you could ruin the watch without recend oil.
    Omega's from this time with a calendar on the 6 are seldom seen in the condition yours is, I would advice you to find a good watchmaker the watch is worth it.

cheers, Frans

Quote Originally Posted by Frans53 View Post
    This Omega is worth to get a full service and I wouldn't wear it before it's serviced anymore because you could ruin the watch without recend oil.
    Omega's from this time with a calendar on the 6 are seldom seen in the condition yours is, I would advice you to find a good watchmaker the watch is worth it.

cheers, Frans
    Point well taken Frans.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Robertoe; September 28th, 2010 at 19:44.

Banned

+4 on the full service.
    And I would buy a higher quality strap. It deserves it.

Banned

Hi Robert. That's a nice watch. There's only a handful of us diehard Omega collectors with those calendar-at-6 versions. I would have it serviced by someone who specializes in Omega. Bumper movements are temperamental and parts are getting scarce. That's either a caliber 353 or 355. Check your PM's for a guy who does fantastic work (he's done quite a few of our watches) and has relatively reasonable rates.

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Hi Robert. That's a nice watch. There's only a handful of us diehard Omega collectors with those calendar-at-6 versions. I would have it serviced by someone who specializes in Omega. Bumper movements are temperamental and parts are getting scarce. That's either a caliber 353 or 355. Check your PM's for a guy who does fantastic work (he's done quite a few of our watches) and has relatively reasonable rates.
    Thanks for the pm. I just sent an email off to Dalton!

Thread Information