Advice Please

Thread: Advice Please

Advice Please

About four weeks ago I purchased a $12 pocket watch from Ebay to be taken apart and used in an art project. Before meeting it's doom I kept it going to see if it would work or not. No surprises it gains about seven minutes a day , stops every now and then to catch it's breath and you need to be muscle man to pull the crown out to set the time and feels rough when tuning the hands.

Having said all that I got bitten by the bug of the mechanics and decided to purchase something a tad better. I purchased a Charles Hubert pocket watch (I am aware this is still low end) and it arrived today. Surprise -- it has what appears to be the same movement as the $12 dollar one with the exception it is way smoother in the feel when setting the time and pulling the crown out. Also the balance wheel looks to be running way faster (or moving over a larger arc) that the other.

So is this any different to the Ebay one or just have another name on it? will find out how well it keeps time shortly.

Re: Advice Please

Hi and welcome.

I'm not a pocket watch person, but those that are will need to see pictures to answer you.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Hey Bruce,

My guess is that your cheap, twelve buck watch probably hadn't been used in quite a while and hasn't been serviced. When pocket watches get like that, they get gummy, jammed up and slow. The crowns get stiff, the balance slows down due to a lack of lubrication and cleaning and eventually the whole watch just stops.

A mechanical pocket watch is like a car. It needs servicing every few years to keep it running properly.

Charles Hubert...well I've no personal experience with this company, but from what I've read, their stuff is pretty good quality. Provided the watch is looked after properly and serviced every few years, your CH pocket watch should keep time and keep ticking for decades to come. Enjoy it!

Oh...and post some photos of it here, if you can.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks folks.
    The Ebay cheapy is a new watch from who knows where in China. Going to add a couple of pics that may help. Even though the Charles Hubert has only been ticking away 11 hours it is already evident it runs way better then the Ebay one. The only difference I can see is in one pick (please excuse my ignorance I don't at this point know what it's called) but a bracket at the back of the watch containing three jewels has a slightly different piercing between the jewels than the Hubert.

Just wondering if they are the same movement but the Hubert one has been assembled with greater care?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I do not know these, but I suppose they have the same origin (China).
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Dear,
    your movement is:
    sceletonized standard movement.
    made by the millions...

VERY FUNNY, posted not very long ago: 12 hours.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=408291

regards,
    RJ van melle

PS: search the Chinese mech. sub forum and you wil find plenty of them.

The difference is likely the finishing. Modern factory machines can punch out parts with a fairly high degree of accuracy, but with mechanical watches, the devil is in the details. If the various parts aren't smoothed properly, they'll bind a bit or catch on one another (likely why it's so hard to pull out the stem), and if low-quality oils were used, they're probably already dried and useless.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks for the input, I think A/Rob has the answer as the Hubert has run for over a day now and though I haven't timed it to the second it would appear to keep excellent time.

One thing I have learned is how addictive the darn things are. I can see lot more research going on and a collection starting

Thanks

Thread Information