Advice on this Tissot By Galli of Zurich
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Advice on this Tissot By Galli of Zurich

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice on this Tissot By Galli of Zurich

This is one of those rare occasions where someone is asking for opinions on a watch before they buy it instead of after.

My specific question on this one is the case. It just looks a little off to me, too dull? As if it were painted on. Was it replated at some point?

Everything else seems fine about the watch. Dial and movement seem original and appropriate. But I thought I'd still ask the experts first :)

Name:  front 1.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  115.5 KB

Name:  front2.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  103.4 KB

Name:  movement.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  154.4 KB
    Current
    Rolex Explorer 214270, UG Polerouter 1961

Past
    Swiss: Tudor Submariner 7021/0 1969, Rolex Explorer II 16570, Zenith El Primero 36,000 Red, IWC Pilot 3717, Tudor Black Bay, Omega Speedmaster 3594.50, Omega Seamaster Chronostop 1968, Gruen Chrono 770CA 1970's, Omega Geneve 1970 Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono, Hamilton Khaki Field Chrono Panda, Hamilton Khaki Auto PVD, Hamilton Khaki Field, Oris Diver, Sinn 556i, Tissot Heritage 150th, Shinola Brakemen, Steinhart Apollon, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 44, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr Bronze, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 47 Pink Gold, EDOX WRC Rally, Mondaine Evo, Longines Conquest, Bulova 96A111, Pierce Chronograph cal. 134
    German: Sinn 103 Tachy LE, Laco Paderborn, Laco "Used Look", Archimede Pilot XLH, Stowa Flieger
    Japanese: Seiko SCEB009, SARB017, SKZ330, SKZ323, SKX781, SRP313, Orient Disk

Re: Advice on this Tissot Antimagnetique

In this case, I would need to see the inside of the caseback. The movement serial dates it to 1945, and there were Antimagnetique models with fancy lugs.
    The inside of the caseback has to have a Tissot marking and a reference or serial number. For 1945 I guess that would be a reference number already. The case is too dull? What do you mean by that? Gold surface of the case tends to gather scratches over time, and I wouldn't expect a watch from 1945 to be mirror-polished anymore. Besides, if it was replated, this could have happened. Plated watches generally get scratched easily, and when the plate starts falling off, then... Replating is sometimes the only solution.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I think that's my issue, I expect this case to be more heavily worn down than it is. My first reaction to the case was, "was that painted yellow"
    Current
    Rolex Explorer 214270, UG Polerouter 1961

Past
    Swiss: Tudor Submariner 7021/0 1969, Rolex Explorer II 16570, Zenith El Primero 36,000 Red, IWC Pilot 3717, Tudor Black Bay, Omega Speedmaster 3594.50, Omega Seamaster Chronostop 1968, Gruen Chrono 770CA 1970's, Omega Geneve 1970 Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono, Hamilton Khaki Field Chrono Panda, Hamilton Khaki Auto PVD, Hamilton Khaki Field, Oris Diver, Sinn 556i, Tissot Heritage 150th, Shinola Brakemen, Steinhart Apollon, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 44, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr Bronze, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 47 Pink Gold, EDOX WRC Rally, Mondaine Evo, Longines Conquest, Bulova 96A111, Pierce Chronograph cal. 134
    German: Sinn 103 Tachy LE, Laco Paderborn, Laco "Used Look", Archimede Pilot XLH, Stowa Flieger
    Japanese: Seiko SCEB009, SARB017, SKZ330, SKZ323, SKX781, SRP313, Orient Disk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have an Antimagnetique which is identical (slight variation in dial and without the dealer's name on the dial, though) and my case is in very similar condition. The plate is quite glossy on mine – hardly any wear at all!– and quite warm (not red/pink though). All in all very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub838 View Post
    I think that's my issue, I expect this case to be more heavily worn down than it is. My first reaction to the case was, "was that painted yellow"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Habitant; July 25th, 2015 at 19:01.
    mkws, bobbee, Apollonaught and 1 others like this.

Questions on Tissot by Galli Zurich

I recently got this Tissot which bears the name of the famous Jeweller "GalliZurich" on its dial.Let me say right away that I love the gorgeous dial and the numbering on it.The only thing that worries me is the positions on the dial where the inscription for "Galli Zurich " appears.Most other watches I've seen bear that name at the 12 o'cock position. Apart from this I do know what movement this watch uses.So my questions to my friends here:

Is it a re-dial?

What movement does this watch use?

Any other discrepencies that are visible with respect to the authenticity of the watch?

I have a thing for vintage Tissots from this period especially models with the sub-seconds layout in gold-plate or (better still!) gold.Here are the deatiled pics of the watch in question.All bouquets and brickbats welcome as always.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Questions on Tissot by Galli Zurich

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/adv...e-2177050.html

The movement is a calibre 27. Re-dial? I think not.
    WATCH-er likes this.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

WATCH-er likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Yes..its the exact same bus...er...watch I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    I guess someone was also watching this one on the bay.I got it.I had the same concern.It looks just too perfect without the wear associated with such a watch.

To me. the Galli Zurich adds novelty to the dial, but that's just me!
    bobbee and Habitant like this.

By the way, the Galli jewelry/watch retailer still exists, still is in Zurich, and still sells Tissot.
    Galli | Galli hat Zeit – seit 125 Jahren
    bobbee and WATCH-er like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    By the way, the Galli jewelry/watch retailer still exists, still is in Zurich, and still sells Tissot.
    Galli | Galli hat Zeit – seit 125 Jahren
    Yes, that's what adds novelty to the watch. Galli have been know to be sellers of Lemanias and Omegas and have their place in horology as one of the longest standing retailers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information