advice on vintage Bulova, potential purchase

Thread: advice on vintage Bulova, potential purchase

advice on vintage Bulova, potential purchase

this turned up in an antique shop.

the story is that it came from a buyout of a closing jewelry store. vendor says "60's, new old stock". keeping good time right now.

been looking for something similar. nice style but the asking price is $200.

just looking for impressions, and if it's a fair price. i'm not really familiar with the market.

got some pics:

thanks for any help.

Re: advice on vintage Bulova, potential purchase

Remember to factor in a service for the watch... The dial does not look NOS. Neither does the case. We don't do valuations here (see the sticky notes at the top of the page for why).

I don't specialize in collecting Bulovas but this one does not look 'special' to me. It's a Swiss movement they encased. I have similar 17 jeweled winders in actual Swiss cases. They are nice and keep time quite well for their age, if serviced.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Remember to factor in a service for the watch... The dial does not look NOS. Neither does the case. We don't do valuations here (see the sticky notes at the top of the page for why).

I don't specialize in collecting Bulovas but this one does not look 'special' to me. It's a Swiss movement they encased. I have similar 17 jeweled winders in actual Swiss cases. They are nice and keep time quite well for their age, if serviced.
    ah, valuation understood. i was kind of skirting w/ the 'fair' request.

so, you would say that the discoloration is from exposure, rather than just age? and the seller thinks they have more than they really do?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I suspect the discoloration is caused by oxidation due to age... exposure tends to bleach out things.

Just today I got a watch in from Hong Kong from a very reputable vendor with whom i have done business before. It was a very early Bulova quartz with a beautiful bracelet in it's original size - not sold as NOS but in far far better shape than the one you have pictured. And I paid far less than your vendor is asking. Check out eBay if you want watches comparable to your watch.

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

ah well.

i try to shop locally, but the internet makes things so much more fun.

thanks very much.

I do antique shows and have a booth in an antique mall. I am going to stick my neck out here. So delete if needed. But I could never get a price like that around here. Remember the dealer is probably paying high rent + utilities and trying to make a living. Small dealers may go for days with out much of a sale.
    Most Bulovas even in new old stock simply are not very collected. Nicely made and good every day watches.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwatch54 View Post
    I do antique shows and have a booth in an antique mall. I am going to stick my neck out here. So delete if needed. But I could never get a price like that around here. Remember the dealer is probably paying high rent + utilities and trying to make a living. Small dealers may go for days with out much of a sale.
    Most Bulovas even in new old stock simply are not very collected. Nicely made and good every day watches.
    Agreed. I have been selling Bulovas on eB for years and this one is run-of-the-mill. Looks like there's a LOT of profit in that selling price.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Agreed. I have been selling Bulovas on eB for years and this one is run-of-the-mill. Looks like there's a LOT of profit in that selling price.
    Sometimes you just fall in love with a watch and want to buy it. I suspect that is what happened here... It's happened to all of us!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I like the way that was handled...there is alot of profit in that selling price for a watch that is fairly common.

thanks to all.

i ended up leaving my best offer and my phone number at the shop.

if they call, so be it. if not, i didn't need it that bad.......

Thread Information