Advise on vintage Longines dial refinish

Thread: Advise on vintage Longines dial refinish

Advise on vintage Longines dial refinish

Hi,

So i got that vintage Longines Conquest (looks like Conquest to me but maybe not) and i am wondering what is the best option to clean up the dial and replace/refinish the hands and hour markers to gold. I dont really have much experience with the vintage watches and would really appreciate some advice and suggestion.

I know i can probabaly sent it over to Longines but i am trying to avoid the $$$$$ cost and 6 month wait.

Thank you very much in advance.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Advise on vintage Longines dial refinish

Do you think it looks that bad you need to risk a cleaning of the dial? And why gold?

From my personnel experience with watch re-dial. DON'T DO IT, unless the dial is completely trashed. Yours looks in good shape. They rarely come out looking like the original.

If you do want to re-do the dial. I suggest you find a dial house in Europe, you will pay more but it's worth it. Great Britain has an excellent one.

I got a Fortis done in the US and the place was terrible. The work, their customer service, everything about it was a disaster. I had to threaten to sue them just to get my own dial back.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It actually not that bad with the exeption of hands being dirty. I do like the look of the gold on vintage watches....i guess just my taste lol the bling

Quote Originally Posted by vadik25 View Post
    It actually not that bad with the exeption of hands being dirty. I do like the look of the gold on vintage watches....i guess just my taste lol the bling
    Sell it and get one in gold.

Name:  PC025299.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  118.7 KB
    Here is one I got that has passed the threshold and is in need of a redail and new hands.
    Last edited by Shum; December 2nd, 2013 at 21:05.

Most any watchmaker can change out the hands and markers. That's not a real big deal if it's your preference as long as you keep the original stuff so it can be switched back later. A good watchmaker could lightly clean the rest which would make it look better but if you completely refinish it, you would be doing so because that's what you like and plan on keeping it as it would diminish the value.

The watch looks great as is.

Thread Information