AeroWatch Pocket watch - info needed

Thread: AeroWatch Pocket watch - info needed

AeroWatch Pocket watch - info needed

Hi all,

I would like to get some information about the pocket watch that used to belong to my grandfather. It's an AeroWatch with the text AeroWatch, Neuchâtel and Swiss Made on the dial. On the back of the watch there is text AeroWatch Neuchâtel, Base Metal, Swiss Made, 1003.

What I would like to know is that what is the model, age, movement of this pocket watch plus any other information you would have about this watch or AeroWatch in general.

Here are some pictures of the watch. Incase the serial number(?) is not visible in the last picture, the numbers are 6431 6445

Name:  IMG_1117_front.jpg
Views: 5173
Size:  86.8 KBName:  IMG_1107_mov.jpg
Views: 4715
Size:  128.3 KBName:  IMG_1108_ser.jpg
Views: 4254
Size:  126.8 KB

edit - numbers on the movement corrected -
    Last edited by kamak; September 17th, 2011 at 21:42.

Re: AeroWatch Pocket watch - info needed

This looks like it was made Recently. It looks very much like a popular Chinese Mushroom brand that is still making these today. But maybe I'm off on this one....the 6431 is a vintage movement.
    Someone with more info will be along..
    Last edited by Fantasyvoyager; September 17th, 2011 at 20:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasyvoyager View Post
    This looks like it was made in 2010-11 made by a Mushroom brand, that is a Chinese movement in there, should keep good time.
    Thanks for your input, but one thing is for sure, it was not made in 2010-1011. It was made before 1991, it belong to my grandfather and that was the year he died. This pocket watch has been in my fathers drawer ever since. Unfortunately I do not have any info when or where my grandfather got this pocket watch and if it is any decent watch or not. That's why I'm asking it here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Check out their web site...www.aerowatch.com

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The watch is definitely not from the heyday of the pocket watches ( pre WWII)). At the same time, it is old enough to be pre quartz crisis (1970s). The movement is an Unitas Cal. 6445, based on the Unitas 6431. No picture in Ranfft but if you google "Unitas 6445", you'll get some info. It is apparently a little bigger than the modern Unitas (ETA) 6497 which looks similar:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Unitas 6497-1

...so the movement should be at least ca. 38mm across.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    The watch is definitely not from the heyday of the pocket watches ( pre WWII)). At the same time, it is old enough to be pre quartz crisis (1970s). The movement is an Unitas Cal. 6445, based on the Unitas 6431. No picture in Ranfft but if you google "Unitas 6445", you'll get some info. It is apparently a little bigger than the modern Unitas (ETA) 6497 which looks similar:

Hartmut Richter
    Thanks Hartmut, this was valuable information. The numbers in the movement are actually 6431 6445 and not 6481 6445 as I stated before. With "Unitas 6445" I found indeed some information about the movement. I also measured the movement and it is about 40mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post

Hartmut Richter
    If we take Hartmut's analysis to be gospel (and I've rarely known him to be incorrect), that would date the watch to about 1950-1960. I agree, it's certainly after the Golden Age of pocketwatches (which died after WWII with the REAL rise of the wristwatch) but I see no iindication that it's super-duper modern. It looks like a legitimate pocketwatch movement, not a wristwatch movement that's been stuffed into a pocketwatch case for the hell of it. A proper pocketwatch. Just not a particularly old one.

At a really rough guess, I'd say between 1960-1970. I don't know why I say this, but that's what I'd put my date-money on.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thanks Shangas, I believe these estimates are accrurate and I also managed to find some information with "Unitas 6431 6445" although not any further information of the exact time period when this movement has been in the production.

Thread Information