All original UG vintage compax?

Thread: All original UG vintage compax?

All original UG vintage compax?

What do you all think on this listing? Crown does not look original, correct me if wrong.

1940's Stunning UNIVERSAL GENEVE Steel Compax Chronograph ref. 22278 | eBay

Re: All original UG vintage compax?

It looks like the auction ended, with 1 offer declined. The movement looks like Valjoux 72, but don't all V movements have 9 columns on their column wheel? It is a great-looking watch, I am a big fan of 3-subdial chronos
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

A nice example. Clearly a replacement crown but the dial and hands are untouched and still intact and clean. The price asked was well above what these three dial chronos seem to go for. Even the gold cased ones don't usually go for near the asked price.

Caveat Emptor.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    It looks like the auction ended, with 1 offer declined. The movement looks like Valjoux 72, but don't all V movements have 9 columns on their column wheel?
    That's 'cause it's not a Valjoux movement. It's an in-house Universal movement, cal. 281.

More information here:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Universal 281 Compax

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

According to recent research, the "in house" status is mildly questionable - it appears that all UG chronograph movements were actually made by Martel Watch Co. (Les Ponts de Martel, Canton Neuchatel) who also supplied mainly Zenith and were later taken over by Zenith.

(For those willing to read through a very extensive discussion:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/sho...hs-660565.html)

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter
    According to recent research, the "in house" status is mildly questionable - it appears that all UG chronograph movements were actually made by Martel Watch Co. (Les Ponts de Martel, Canton Neuchatel) who also supplied mainly Zenith and were later taken over by Zenith.

(For those willing to read through a very extensive discussion:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/sho...hs-660565.html)

Hartmut Richter
    Well that has to be viewed in the context of the nature of the Swiss watch industry where that sort of partnership was traditionally the norm. The relationship between UG, Zenith and Martel was no secret. The thread you link to is an interesting one that substantiates and confirms what was long believed.

By the same token, the 'in house' status of Rolex movements is also 'questionable'.
    Last edited by Ovalteenie; August 26th, 2012 at 01:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    According to recent research, the "in house" status is mildly questionable - it appears that all UG chronograph movements were actually made by Martel Watch Co. (Les Ponts de Martel, Canton Neuchatel) who also supplied mainly Zenith and were later taken over by Zenith
    Hmmm...learn something new every day!

Can't say I'm surprised though. There were very few chronograph manufacturers in Switzerland in those days and all the companies shared.

Take care and thanks for the link,
    gatorcpa

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Rolex didn't really own Aegler (or whatever it was called later) until 2005. The two companies were always separate, although I believe that the ties were quite close. Until then, technically speaking, Rolex did not have manufacture ("in house") movements but rather what in the trade is called "reserved calibres". The thing I am most interested in here is: who designed the movements? Rolex or "Aegler"?!!

Hartmut Richter

Awesome info. Thank you for sharing. Personally really like these vintage UGs. Still looking for my perfect buy.

Thread Information