Allaine watches
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marrick

Thread: Allaine watches

Allaine watches

Hi there,
    I'm trying to buy a reasonably cheap vintage watch for friend of mine, and have come across a bunch of 'Allaine' watches on ebay. I've never heard of the company and can find almost nothing about them on the internet. Secondly, there seem to be an awful lots of sellers on ebay with apparently unused Allaine watches from the 1950's. They're quite nice looking pieces but it sounds a little too good to be true - could they be replicas or something? Just seems a bit fishy....

Any help gratefully received!
    T

Re: Allaine watches

Can't say it is a brand I am familiar with, but there were numerous, astoundingly numerous Swiss watch companies over the years.

From taking a look at what is currently available for Allaine, the major locations of sellers are from UK, China, Israel and Bulgaria. Three of those have reputations for cobbled together "franken-watches." Not to say that the stock of a watch shop or jeweler could have sat in a box for decades until someone uncovered them. And keep in mind that just because a NOS vintage watch has never been worn, does not mean you don't need to have it serviced when it comes into your possession. In fact, you might have a better chance of a used watch being regularly maintained than one that's been sitting around for years.

And from the photos, the movements of the ones that are shown are all unsigned, possibly generic movements.

Not sure what kind of vintage watch your friend is interested in, or what kind of budget you are working with, but I am sure you can find much better examples of better known brands for what these are being offered for.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

Thanks so much for the advice. I normally collect women's vintage watches so I'm a bit at sea with men's... I think I'll look for something else. The Allaine's I was looking at were about £25-30, which is what I'm looking to spend really. Looking at something from the 60's/70's and fairly classic looking I guess.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm sure if you go through some of the many threads, you'll see a lot of suggestions and ideas for various brands to look at.

I would recommend, that if you keep your eyes open, you're likely to find in that price range watches from:

Hamilton
    Tissot
    Bulova

And expect this list to get longer...
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

According to Mikrolisk, Allaine was owned by Achille Barre of Porrentruy, Switzerland.....

Mikrolisk - was Feines für die Tasche... - Das Informationsportal rund um die Taschenuhr!

I believe the name was registered in 1966 but not sure on that.

regards

tim

oh great, thanks for the link/advice. i'm still very novice when it comes to all this so i'm trying to learn as much as i can...

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
    This is one of the Allaine watches I was thinking of buying. If anyone had time to give me a quick opinion I'd be really grateful! Thanks.

hi can someone explain how to get a back of an allaine watch off?

It depends whether its a screw on back or a snap on back:

DanJames26 likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thread Information