Alsta Diver

Thread: Alsta Diver

Alsta Diver

I'm a newbie to the watch scene so I apologize in advance for any dumb questions...

I received a couple of watches from my late grandfather and one of them is an Alsta. I'm confident it is a diving watch - On the face is says that it has 17 jewels, is automatic, is certified for 999 ft and it has a date function. The bezel doesn't seem to turn and the band has been replaced. The watch is in good working order although I'm sure it needs lubing. On the back is says nautoscaph.

From what i have been able to find on the web, Alsta was Alstater (?). Would anyone have any historical information on Alstater? How prevalent the watches were, etc.

Also, i have been unable to find any pictures of an original to see what type of replacement band I should get for it. (Any recommendations welcome!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!:thanks

Re: Alsta Diver

Hi -

Everyone starts out a newbie, welcome to the Vintage Forum! In one way or another, we're all newbies here.

As always: pictures, pictures, pictures. Makes identifying things a lot easier.

So, I also looked on the web, but the key word is Nautoscaph. This is a term used by Minerva for one of their divers watches in the 1970s, but from what I have seen, Minerva farmed this work out.

There may be an ETA 2783 inside (this is the caliber of the watch).

From the large variety of Alstater-signed movements in a large variety of watches - search on eBay for this - that range from Alsta to Wakmann.

This points, I think (and this is speculation on my part), to a watch reseller or watch job shop in Switzerland at least into the 1970s. This is, unfortunately, a rather poorly documented time period in watch history.

In the classic collector's guide called Shugart (Complete Price Guide To Watches), there are two Alsta watches listed, one a standard chronograph and the other an alarm watch, both with high-quality swiss calibres inside, at least judging from the price.

But if Shugart doesn't give us more than that and neither eBay nor Google give us more, your guess is as good as mine.

That's why we need pictures!!!!

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

Yep, there are a number of them up in both the US and Germany... didn't want to post any links, though (but you're welcome to do so under these conditions...)

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thumbs Up Re: Alsta Diver

John,

Thanks very much for all the great info! I will do my best to get the pics up to better help with the analysis.

D

Thanks Tom.

I saw that one too. There were some other Alsta's on eBAy that I believe may have been very close - I did a search of Alsta Nautoscaph and it came up with a couple of eBay items but unfortunately they were gone or the pics don't render....

D

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono
    Nice watch that - Adolf Schild Cal. 1931.

Hartmut Richter

Sorry it took forever to get these pic up. I finally got a camera that could take close pics...I hope they're good enough for people to see some of the detail...

Thanks!:thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information