Am i going mad?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Am i going mad?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Am i going mad?

i started looking at vintages recently.. its gotten into me. so badly that i am selling modern pieces away to buy vintage watches. beat up, old, watches that may or may not be valuable. my 4th modern pieces, a submariner is gone, and in turn i want to get a few vintage again. among them a vintage seiko!!!!!

what is wrong with me??!! am i sick??!

Re: Am i going mad?

Ha ha! I haven't worn a modern watch in about 4 years now. They are addictive alright! Even my "sports" bang around/ work on the car watch is a 25 year old Casio!
    lp1974 likes this.

I always like how many vintage you can buy for the price of one modern watch... you are actually undergoing 'collection enhancement' -- congratulations!
    redcow, OCDood and lp1974 like this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes

Just kidding, to be honest I own both modern pieces and vintage and enjoy both together. I did go through a stage of wondering if I should sell one of my modern pieces to finance a couple of good quality vintage watches, but each time I would place the watch on my wrist I couldnt do it. I am happy with the vintage watches I own, but would still like a JLC or zenith at one stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I always like how many vintage you can buy for the price of one modern watch... you are actually undergoing 'collection enhancement' -- congratulations!
    Definitely! One thing I find especially gratifying is noting how much the vintage Elgins I collect sold for originally - generally between $40 and $100 back in the mid-20th Century. That translates to between $400 and $1000 in 2013 dollars, and I generally pay even less in 2013 dollars than they cost originally - my average watch cost me under $30!

Of course, they're no longer new, but most of them just need cleaning and lubricating to be ready to give a couple decades more service.
    lp1974 likes this.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

My first watch I bought several years ago was a Seiko 5 (wasn't into watches then). Since, I have not purchased a watch made after the 70's, and have no particular plans to.
    I'm not looking for dead on accuracy, per se. I have a cell phone and can afford a 10$ quartz if I wanted.

I appreciate the craftsmanship and styling of older watches back then, especially when you get back to a point when someone had to hand assemble, etc.
    On top of that, I appreciate a time when many people couldn't afford watches quite like the affluent societies of today. A $70 Bulova back in the 60s or similar may have been a prized possession to someone because much of the world prior grew up in the working class.
    What an old watch may have meant to the person who originally bought it is something I consider every time I put on one of my old watches.

Today, some people consider a (machine assembled) watch under $1000 "affordable". Ha. Things today are often much less special because we have and spend money with much more carelessness.

My .02$.
    jsw41, lp1974 and Smoking Joe like this.
    "Time flies when you're throwing watches."
    What has a man profited, if he gains the whole world yet forfeits his soul? Mt16:26
    IG: @BuyingOnTime

Quote Originally Posted by JP71624 View Post
    My first watch I bought several years ago was a Seiko 5 (wasn't into watches then). Since, I have not purchased a watch made after the 70's, and have no particular plans to.
    I'm not looking for dead on accuracy, per se. I have a cell phone and can afford a 10$ quartz if I wanted.

I appreciate the craftsmanship and styling of older watches back then, especially when you get back to a point when someone had to hand assemble, etc.
    On top of that, I appreciate a time when many people couldn't afford watches quite like the affluent societies of today. A $70 Bulova back in the 60s or similar may have been a prized possession to someone because much of the world prior grew up in the working class.
    What an old watch may have meant to the person who originally bought it is something I consider every time I put on one of my old watches.

Today, some people consider a (machine assembled) watch under $1000 "affordable". Ha. Things today are often much less special because we have and spend money with much more carelessness.

My .02$.
    marketing is a big part of today's watch industry...i believe back then it was important but it does look like watch makers were more interested to create a few pieces where everyone wanted,...technology, design, craftsmanship, quality...etc.
    now base quality have improved but there is a lot more marketing information about preferences, perceptions, demographics...etc and watches seem to be made for very specific group of people with a lot more designs, variations. obviously there are benefits for both consumers and makers but it does seem to be compromised on uniqueness.

i rather be collecting that few pieces that will be unique than buy another overpriced hype up brand...that will
    still have hundreds of thousands of the same model with cosmetic variance, 50years later.

I'm into vintage watches too and found myself thinking about selling my Seiko Orange Monster the other day. I'm not going to sell it though.

I've been concentrating on Soviet watches but tonight I bought a vintage military style 17 jewel Delbana with automatic movement and anti-magnetic, waterproof, and incabloc features for $10. It's in pretty good shape, and I really couldn't pass it up for $10, but it's not even a Russian watch.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDood View Post
    I'm into vintage watches too and found myself thinking about selling my Seiko Orange Monster the other day. I'm not going to sell it though.

I've been concentrating on Soviet watches but tonight I bought a vintage military style 17 jewel Delbana with automatic movement and anti-magnetic, waterproof, and incabloc features for $10. It's in pretty good shape, and I really couldn't pass it up for $10, but it's not even a Russian watch.
    Delbana is a reputable brand. It definitely used farmed out movements in some of its chronographs and auto's but still-A fine condition early-mid 50s delbana is a desirable watch. I'll post one if I can find it. good luck
    OCDood likes this.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information