American Walthan PS Bartlett

Thread: American Walthan PS Bartlett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

American Walthan PS Bartlett

I found this American Waltham pocketwatch at my Aunt's home in upstate New York (she's 92) -- guess it was my great aunt's or uncle's or my grandfather's or ?. 14K case, case #711994, I think it says Dueber inside. Case engraved PSB. Hands are blue. Numbers are Roman. Second dial for seconds not in roman. Serial #3759251. A friend's father is a jeweler and antique collector and offered me $300. It's not worn and looks like it's been in a drawer for the last 100 years. No scratches on face. One tiny dent on back of case. And it runs. I'm not that interested in selling but was wondering what your gut tells you about the offer. Thanks in advance. If I screwed up by starting a new thread, sorry, I didn't quite know what to do, though I read all the rules and understand that anything you say can't be taken to the bank and is just an opinion based on what I'm telling you.

Re: American Walthan PS Bartlett

You are just not going to get us to do valuations over the Internet. We have a posting in the stickies at the top of the page which says why.

There are books you can buy which will give you general pricing and eBay can too if you can find comparable watches. But, in general, watches are worth a lot less than most folks think...

... this is fortunate for those of us who collect as it allows us to collect more watches. I could never afford my collection if it was actually worth what some folks think!! But new watches which have the same quality as the Waltham you mention would cost a lot of money. That is just how the market works...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

According to one table of dates & numbers, your watch was made circa 1887/1888.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What you have apparently (and we can't verify without photos) is:
    a 15 jewel, 18S model 1883 P S Bartlett Waltham made in 1888. It's in a Dueber gold case. It would have been a very fine businessman's watch in its day - not quite a railroad grade but Waltham's finest mid-grade watch.
    It's going to need another $100 or so in service, but given that it's in a gold case your friend's father's offer would not be an insult. However, such a watch surely must be worth more to you than a modern Seiko or Invicta...it might have been your grandfather's after all.
    The fact that a watch with such workmanship and in a gold case to boot is worth so little on the open market is the reason we love collecting them - and why we encourage anyone who is fortunate enough to have one in hand never to sell it. It's the ultimate gift to pass on to your own grandchildren.
    As Eeeb said we can't possibly give you a valuation for the reasons in our sticky notes. However our advice is - don't worry about selling, sentimental value far outweighs anything else.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks Ray. That's kind of the response I was looking for. I'm sort of pre-distributing my aunt's estate and want to give the watch to my nephew who will be most interested in the craftsmanship and history. I just didn't want to be giving him something that was worth a ton of money. Everything I'm divvying up is worth way more in sentimental value than cash any day, except maybe the Victrola and WringOMatic, which none of us have room for. I'm so glad I stumbled on your site and thank you all so much for your input.

If you do intend to give the watch to your nephew, have it serviced, cleaned and oiled first. That way you'll be giving him a watch that not only looks nice, but runs properly too.

Any chance of a few photographs?
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

The offer was probably made for the gold value. Unfortunately, historically thousands of fine antique and vintage watches have been destroyed for the value of the solid gold case.

I'm real bad at photos, but here's what I was able to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can you tell us what it says on the inside of the back cover of the case. Just Dueber or does it say 14K ?

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

It says Dueber and 14K.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information