Angelus ChronoDato 217
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Angelus ChronoDato 217

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angelus ChronoDato 217

So I come across this Angelus Chronodato chronograph with day-date-month almost 2 years ago at a local store.
    I liked the watch, which was barely running and desperately in need of service, and buy it hoping it could be serviced and will someday be usable.

After almost 6 months with my watch guy (who does an amazing job with my other watches), he sends it back to me telling me he has serviced / done a complete overhaul of the watch and it should be usable. The service/overhaul actually cost me more than it does for my Rolex Daytona....which was a surprise.

However, for a watch that is almost 75-80 years old, this is an absolute joy to wear. It keeps time well and the chronograph works perfectly now. All the pushers, chronograph and date-day-month) work as they should and the crown clicks with a very pleasing sound when wound. The 38mm size is just right and I find myself looking at the watch more to enjoy it than to tell time.

I was hoping forum members could help me answer some questions:

1. What are those red markers on the minute hand of the chronograph dial - any reason these red markers are placed at those locations ?

2. Once fully wound, which takes about 20, maybe 30 turns, what is the power reserve on this watch supposed to be ? Would using the chronograph feature cut the reserve time drastically ? If anyone has this model, how much operating time do you get on yours before it stops or needs to be wound again ?

3. My watch guy was adamant to not over-work or replace the hands or the dial to make it "look like new". He said it would be best to try to clean up the dial/face and hands gently, as best as possible, but leave the original watch face/dial/hands as-is. While I wouldn't mind leaving it as is, are there options available to restore the dial and/or watch hands ? would replacing the original dial, if such a service is available, be worthwhile ?

Obligatory watch pictures - as it looks/works today

Thanks.
    TY
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt and Charon like this.

Re: Angelus ChronoDato 217

- The red marks are associated with three minute time intervals for pay phone charges.

- Very roughly speaking, I generally consider 36 hours to be a nominal power reserve for a watch like this. However, this depends on the condition of the mainspring and various other factors. I wouldn't be too worried as long as it is at least 30 hours. Running the chronograph should not affect the reserve dramatically.

- You should not do anything to the watch. To do so would dramatically reduce its collectibility, desirability, and value. It's fine as it is. Most vintage watch collectors would find it easy to tolerate the very modest signs of aging that this watch exhibits. Give it some time, and perhaps you will come around to liking it as it is. If you alter it, you will never be able to make it original again.
    Last edited by badbackdan; February 25th, 2018 at 07:41.
    turbineboy, bubba48 and kurt1962 like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    -
    - You should not do anything to the watch. To do so would dramatically reduce its collectibility, desirability, and value. It's fine as it is. Most vintage watch collectors would find it easy to tolerate the very modest signs of aging that this watch exhibits. Give it some time, and perhaps you will come around to liking it as it is. If you alter it, you will never be able to make it original again.
    +1

Regards,

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would have never guessed that's what the red line markers on the chronograph minute dial were.

As for the dial, it doesn't bother me with the vintage look of the dial, but having seen copies of this watch that we're re-dialed, I thought that was the way to go. With mine, now that I know, will leave it as is.

I will say, so far I am impressed with everything I am reading about Angelus and their accomplishments in the 20th century. Just not clear as to why they simply shut their doors.

Thanks for the replies / information.

Quote Originally Posted by turbineboy View Post
    I will say, so far I am impressed with everything I am reading about Angelus and their accomplishments in the 20th century. Just not clear as to why they simply shut their doors.
    My only Angelus. Just one of many excellent watch companies that didn't survive intact.

Name:  angelus_strap_3.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  540.0 KB
    turbineboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by turbineboy View Post
    As for the dial, it doesn't bother me with the vintage look of the dial, but having seen copies of this watch that we're re-dialed, I thought that was the way to go.
    It's getting harder and harder to find good, original Chronodato dials - in stainless steel in particular, there's more redials than originals out there, for sure.

Congrats on a great piece, wear in good health.
    turbineboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    My only Angelus. Just one of many excellent watch companies that didn't survive intact.

Name:  angelus_strap_3.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  540.0 KB
    Good. Lord. Beautiful!
    badbackdan likes this.

Hello guys,
    Nice watch!! Is the month supposed to change on its own also? or that is something that one changes with the pusher? Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by macotono View Post
    Hello guys,
    Nice watch!! Is the month supposed to change on its own also? or that is something that one changes with the pusher? Enjoy!
    Pusher between top lugs I believe.

Thanks for the reply. Mine is not changing on its on the first. I have to push the pusher in to move the month ahead. I cannot remember if the month moved on its own like the date and day of the week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information