THE Angelus thread
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: THE Angelus thread

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

THE Angelus thread

I thought this brand and its products need some more attention and creating a topic where we can post our Angelus timepieces and their history, inventions, patents would be useful as reference.I am not aware if there are serial numbers and manufacture year lists for this brand. Maybe it can trigger those researches also.

Back in the day Angelus manufactured some magnificent timepieces and other related products. My love for Angelus comes, I guess like most of us here, from their inventions and craftsmanship.

After I have lost one Angelus Chronodato with box and papers in transit, I bought one more, yeah sh*t happens.

It's not the best example, carries the wisdom of decades which adds charm:

Name:  IMG_2269.JPG
Views: 761
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2272.JPG
Views: 748
Size:  119.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2270.JPG
Views: 746
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2271.JPG
Views: 741
Size:  93.9 KB

Mine has ss case-back.

Serial number on case-back is 278149.Movement type: Angelus caliber 217

While searching for other stuff I ran into Angelus patents and archived them so will add it also here may shed light if we will put some information together:

Patents:

1.Looks like Angelus started the fashion of the center hand showing date around the dial. Applied in Mar 1938:

CH203735A : https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...C&locale=en_EP

2. The wristwatch with repeater- Angelus Tinkler- patent. THE rare beast. Obviously Golay gave Stolz brothers a shoulder here. Applied in Oct 1958 registered Feb 1960:

CH344955: https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...C&locale=en_EP

City legend says only a few, like 100 were manufactured in 1958, costs involved were very high and project discontinued. Anybody here has a Tinkler? Would be a great surprise.

So, I let the ball roll, let's put together advertisements, patents and watches.

There were this chic datograph models and the pulsations with magnifying crystal on the edge of crystal, sure some eye candies out there.
    Last edited by Emre; August 31st, 2016 at 20:09. Reason: add caliber
    Mirius, Charon, eri231 and 7 others like this.

Re: THE Angelus thread

Not a ChronoDato but here is one I used to own. Lovely simple dial and well made. From the 40s or 50s?. I regret selling it now .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Emre, bobbee, radger and 2 others like this.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

In regards to the watch in the OP's post.

I wish I had never found this thread, damn that's a fine looking watch!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here's the Chronodato I got a few weeks ago with a bunch of stuff. I'm really looking forward to getting it in order.

I'm enjoying learning more about Angelus and their movements. Any way to date it?

This will be an interesting thread.

An old ad for Chronodatos...

Emre, bobbee, radger and 1 others like this.

@ Addictedtowatches:Nice timepiece, obviously from the times when center seconds was considered a kind of complication until the '50s.

@guy0783: Wow that Chronodato looks like it served pretty well. I had a quick look in web but there seems to be some educated guesstimates for the serial number vs manufacture years, but nothing solid. It will be nice if you can add the serial number also so that we can gather it to make sense of it later. Your watches' movement is finer finished then mine, look at that Geneva stripes and the perlage on the movement base. Mine is pretty plain in comparison:) What are your plans with it? Are you going to restore it? Or sell for parts?

Obviously we are not the only enthusiasts loving this brand, there are some serious contributors, will add them here with reference:

First of all the official website: Angelus Watches - Angelus Watches

Angelus is now back in relation with Le Joux Perret. Le Joux Perret is a similar profile company to Dubois Depraz with the capacity of manufacturing modules and movements. Its roof company is Citizen Group since last year, the Japanese made a smart investment there,and I am grateful that they did.

This website and its owner put a serious effort in preparing a chart with years and models : Page fabricant
    The gentleman who owns the site mentions that around the serial number 270K, Angelus started to remove the logo from the case-back.

These are the movements in Angelus watches, same website : Page fabricant

While trading, Angelus registered several US import marks, I have found three: AON, DBA, YXR I believe they were used in different decades or depending on the importing company/distributor.

And for the curious, the functions of the buttons on this watch - 5 pushers and 1 crown - which is pretty functional from each side.And the good thing is, all functions are quick set, no struggle to advance time to change any of the dates. Pretty advanced for the '40s:

Main crown: winds and sets time
    2 o'clock pusher: starts and stops center seconds hand
    4 o'clock pusher: resets the center seconds to 12 and resets the 45 minutes totalizer to zero
    12 o'clock integrated pusher: advances the month display
    9 o'clock integrated pusher: advances the center date hand
    6 o'clock integrated pusher: advances day display
    I am using wood toothpicks to push the integrated buttons.

Name:  unnamed (Small).jpg
Views: 670
Size:  60.8 KB

Here is a part of its manual:

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 667
Size:  130.3 KB

My watchmaker, who just serviced it, was mentioning that there are no protectors of the buttons so to stick to no change day-date-month rules when gears are engaged ( 22.30-03.00 as per the manual, by mine the pins were bent because the previous owners tried hard ). No shock protection, no water resistance with so many buttons, so it's definitely a grand lady who has to be taken very well care while wearing.
    Last edited by Emre; August 19th, 2016 at 20:53.

Thanks Emre, I rather like your term "served well". The dial is rough, but I love it. The Geneva striping and perlage appears umcommon. Also, my bridge is different than most.

It appears mostly complete, and ticks. Functions work. It's currently missing the hour hand and 60s drive wheel, but the drive wheel is on its way to me as we speak. A service should then have it in order.

My import code is the AON. I'll have to find the serial, but I have no problem posting it.
    bobbee likes this.

I'll add some under dial shots this evening also. It's really interesting.

great thread idea, Emre; it was high time, actually, for Angelus to get their own thread.

here's a quick pic of one of my Chronodato:

Emre, bobbee, radger and 5 others like this.

Fred I know your soft spot for premium chronographs and was hoping for your contributions. Thank you for posting.

That Angelus is like fresh bread out of owen, such a pristine dial, woow.

You also have a rare version of it,with black dial, no? Do you have also one of those Chrono Dato-Luxe versions with moon-phase ?
    Last edited by Emre; August 10th, 2016 at 22:17.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information