Another antique shop find
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Another antique shop find

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Another antique shop find

Just picked this up today. Elgin auto, likely late 50s or early 60s.

Stainless steel case, Elgin 793 (AS 1673?) automatic movement. Very clean all over. One of the women who works at the store indicated it was her husband's watch. She kept saying it was from the 1940s and seemed surprised/skeptical when I told her she was off by a decade or two.

Came on a new-ish black braided leather strap, but I switched it over to a brown lizard strap i had lying around.

Probably going to get this serviced, but I'm a little dissatisfied with my local watchmaker at the moment so I might look into sending it out to someone different.

Not too bad for $40 considering it's a steel cased watch in excellent shape.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by typ73; June 24th, 2017 at 05:20.

Re: Another antique shop find

Great find!
    Most quotations you see on the internet are incorrect--​Mark Twain

Hunt for a new watchmaker.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Case61 View Post
    Great find!
    Well, my jubilation might be short lived. After looking at it under a loupe, I now believe it might be a refinished dial. There is paint on the sides of the numerals and the "SWISS" is not perfectly centered. I didn't notice either of these things in the store, although I did notice the lack of the Elgin logo from this period. Considering we're talking about the later Elgin company here (not the original American company), I supposed it's possible that the watch left the factory this way, but I think not.

I will try to post better pictures so those who are much more familiar with the brand can offer comments. Might need to get the macro lens out and take some proper photos....

Hmmmm.... mine looks EXACTLY like this one. Perhaps it's not a redial after all?
    http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net...554c79d99d.jpg

(Picture from internet, not mine)

Last edited by typ73; June 24th, 2017 at 06:01.
    Junjun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Hunt for a new watchmaker.
    Have a recommendation?

My local guy knows what he's doing, but I am very frustrated with him at the moment, for the following reasons:
    1. Communication is not his strong suit. When I drop something off with him it's like a black hole. I'm perfectly fine with waiting 1 - 3 months to have something serviced, but trying to get a status update from him is like pulling teeth.
    2. He is very busy (which is actually a good sign), but I believe this leads him to slip up. For example, I had a simple 17 jewel Swiss manual wind serviced and it was running almost a minute slow per day right after I got it back from him. Because I didn't feel like running back to his shop again, I regulated it myself and got it within 15 seconds/day, but was irritated that he didn't have that straightened out. The movement had definitely been serviced (it had some issues before I brought it in), but I seriously think he just forgot to regulate it. More recently, I brought a tiny ladies watch owned by my mother for him to service and repair. When the case back was removed, it would run. However, as soon as the caseback was popped back on, it would stop. I suspected the movement wasn't seated correctly and explained exactly what was going on with it when I dropped it off. When I went to pick it up from him, it wasn't running! I mentioned again to him that it had exhibited similar behaviour prior to me bringing it in for service. He removed the caseback to put it on the timegrapher and... voila.... it started ticking again. He said he would troubleshoot the issue and and then get back to me (at this point I'd already paid him). This was over 4 months ago and it's been radio silence. At this point I'm actually not contacting him on purpose. I'm waiting to see how long it will be until he contacts me, if ever. Maybe he had a heart attack.....

Jason at 'The Tick Tock Shop' in Santa Clara, CA.
    Quote Originally Posted by typ73 View Post
    Have a recommendation?

My local guy knows what he's doing, but I am very frustrated with him at the moment, for the following reasons:
    1. Communication is not his strong suit. When I drop something off with him it's like a black hole. I'm perfectly fine with waiting 1 - 3 months to have something serviced, but trying to get a status update from him is like pulling teeth.
    2. He is very busy (which is actually a good sign), but I believe this leads him to slip up. For example, I had a simple 17 jewel Swiss manual wind serviced and it was running almost a minute slow per day right after I got it back from him. Because I didn't feel like running back to his shop again, I regulated it myself and got it within 15 seconds/day, but was irritated that he didn't have that straightened out. The movement had definitely been serviced (it had some issues before I brought it in), but I seriously think he just forgot to regulate it. More recently, I brought a tiny ladies watch owned by my mother for him to service and repair. When the case back was removed, it would run. However, as soon as the caseback was popped back on, it would stop. I suspected the movement wasn't seated correctly and explained exactly what was going on with it when I dropped it off. When I went to pick it up from him, it wasn't running! I mentioned again to him that it had exhibited similar behaviour prior to me bringing it in for service. He removed the caseback to put it on the timegrapher and... voila.... it started ticking again. He said he would troubleshoot the issue and and then get back to me (at this point I'd already paid him). This was over 4 months ago and it's been radio silence. At this point I'm actually not contacting him on purpose. I'm waiting to see how long it will be until he contacts me, if ever. Maybe he had a heart attack.....

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Jason at 'The Tick Tock Shop' in Santa Clara, CA.
    Thanks!

Too bad you don't live on Canada. I clean watches by hand as a hobby and also replace jewels and other difficult jobs. I actually don't have a rate, just charge for parts and what I think is very fare. What did this guy charge you for the ladies watch service. And how much the the man's watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He charges approximately $120 U.S. for a manual wind and around $150 for an auto. This seems to be a fairly standard rate for major metro areas in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by jdrichard View Post
    Too bad you don't live on Canada. I clean watches by hand as a hobby and also replace jewels and other difficult jobs. I actually don't have a rate, just charge for parts and what I think is very fare. What did this guy charge you for the ladies watch service. And how much the the man's watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by typ73; June 24th, 2017 at 07:12.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information