Another Early Automatic, need help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By vicond

Thread: Another Early Automatic, need help

Another Early Automatic, need help

Acquired this fine timepiece in the shadow of Santa, love him. As you might have recognized I am now going vertical in my collecting and learning journey into Glycine and Meylan pieces.

I have enough information about the base caliber and the automatic module, but about the case I need your help for the marks to identify. Also this aparat has an interesting clips alike crown function which holds the two pieces case together and sets the time also, never saw this before.

The dial is signed ' Dietrich Bale' , I know that Bale is the city Basel in French influence, but couldn't find who was 'Dietrich'. At one source it was mentioned retailer, but don't know if Jeweler or something else, saw an IWC with the same dial sign . Any info on ' Dietrich ' and case marks would be appreciated,
    thanks,

Re: Another Early Automatic, need help

Very nice indeed.

That is so unusual, the fold away lever in place of the crown.
    Do you know if that is an original feature or a watchmaker modification at sometime in
    the watches history?
    Either way, it is neat,although not particularly dustproof by the looks I've never saw anything like it either.

Add me to the list of 'never seen anything like it'... but I do like it.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I believe that folding lever is original, produced in that way. What makes me believe this is, Eugene Meylan, when he took over La Glycine in 1914 ( La Glycine dates back to 1900) which was more into jeweled ladies watches, he worked on some 8,75 and 11 lignes movement. And he successfully developed a cal 20 which was similar to Venus 60, and they were all interchangeable parts. I have 3 automatic modules from Glycine. This one's base movement is supposed to be the Cal 40 (modified to be easier serviceable from Cal 20 and Cal 35 )from Glycine.And even if Glycine calibers were short, Venus was widely available and could be replaced easily with crown and stem if wanted.But what I learned in vintage timepieces, you never can be sure, so its just my assumption.

What about ' Dietrich ' and the case marks?
    Last edited by Emre; December 2nd, 2012 at 18:18.

The case marks are Swiss hallmarks for 14k gold

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Here's your info about the base movement:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Glycine Eugene Meylan

It was one of the last bumper winds developed before the arrival of the Rolex full rotor calibre in 1931 (not that the development of ther bumper wind ceased thereafter!). Base calibre is by Venus.

Hartmut Richter

Thank you Hartmut, that watch in pink pages is also from my collection, thanks to Dr. Ranfft, it had some issues being fixed now. That one pictured is an earlier one, the dial and case are this:

There is a ' Dietrich ' who makes some ski-snow watches recently, I dont think its related with this ' Dietrich ' on the dial but, any idea if thats a bloodline?
    Last edited by Emre; December 1st, 2012 at 23:28.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

"Secondary" names on the dial are usually the jewellers who sold the watch. All the more so in 1930.....

Hartmut Richter

A.Dietrich Bale - seller. Here's my issue with the response from the factory Longines.

Dear Mr. Kondratenko,

Thanks for your email and interest into Longines watches.

Following your request, I have the pleasure to give you here below the information I found in our old hand-written registers :

The serial number 5’472’960 identifies a wristwatch in stainless steel.
    It is fitted with a Longines manufacture caliber 25.17 that was first produced in 1935.
    It was invoiced to Messrs.’ Wirth, who were for many years our agent for Switzerland, on the 15.01.1938.

For your information, the inscription “Dietrich Bale” on the dial of your watch refers to the seller of your watch.

Hoping this information is convenient to you, I remain at your entire disposal for any additional information you may require.

Best regards,

Mohamed Kanani
    Brand Heritage Trainee

Compagnie des Montres Longines Francillon SA
    CH-2610 Saint-Imier, Switzerland
    Phone +41 32 942 58 58 - Fax +41 32 942 52 39
    Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, iPhone
    Last edited by vicond; December 27th, 2012 at 23:34.
    Emre, Marrick and watchma like this.

Update/ Patent: Another Early Automatic, need help

An update. Found a patent from Fabrique D'Horlogerie La Glycine ( early name of Glycine ) from 1932. The drawings look like describing this folding lever, but can not decrypt French :) Does it belong to this interesting crown function, anybody with French connections?

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...C&locale=en_CH

Name:  patent.png
Views: 154
Size:  253.7 KB
    Last edited by Emre; January 23rd, 2013 at 00:27.

Thread Information