Another Trench.... Another matching movement.... do all trench watches have the same movement, OR...

Thread: Another Trench.... Another matching movement.... do all trench watches have the same movement, OR...

Another Trench.... Another matching movement.... do all trench watches have the same movement, OR...

..... Is it just me!

3rd trench watch arrived today... out of the 4 I have bought in the last few weeks, 3 have had what appears to be a slight variation of the same movement! Again, this had movement pics... so did not know what to expect when it arrived...

and to quote Radger from this Thread.... That's quite a coincidence that you bought these two old wire lug watches and they contain variations of the same movement...

Now im up to three..... still coincidence?

This time, the watch is a 1916 Hunter case.... screw back and what looks like another FHF variation 13'''(very similar to the dennison cased one in the first thread)

The setting gear looks slightly different (reformed)... but the cover plate is the same... which appears to be a FHF (as indicated by Trim)
    Last edited by Sparcster; March 12th, 2012 at 22:14.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: Another Trench.... Another matching movement.... do all trench watches have the same movement, O

Heh, I remember a patch when I kept getting Marvins. Similar story.

Nice catch BTW, is the hinge ok though?

Re: Another Trench.... Another matching movement.... do all trench watches have the same movement, O

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Heh, I remember a patch when I kept getting Marvins. Similar story.

Nice catch BTW, is the hinge ok though?
    The hinge is good... feels a little loose... but ok! If anything, its the catch thats a slight issue.... does not take much for it to pop open! As you can see in the pic, one of the lugs has come loose.... looks like the case has had a wack on the side, which would have push the lug out, and may have deformed the case ever so slightly... making the hunter cover touch on one side of the case... thus making it want to pop open!

if that makes sense?

But as you know, my spending lately has got a bit out of control.... I cant keep them all... but as this is a hunter case, i may keep this one!!

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The front lip wears as people didn't push the button when closing.

I'd keep it, as what I love about early trench watches is how diverse they were.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    The front lip wears as people didn't push the button when closing.
    I better stop doing that then!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Nice watch, with a very nicely preserved dial.

As I mentioned in your Dennison thread, it's a Fontainemelon, likely an FHF 3. I'm positive now, after looking up the patent number under the dial. There wasn't an abstract available, but it's a patent for the winding mechanism, issued in 1910.

CH51482 (A) - Mécanisme de remontage et de mise à l'heure
    Inventor(s): DE FONTAINEMELON FABRIQUE D HO [CH]
    Applicant(s): FONTAINEMELON HORLOGERIE [CH]

Quote Originally Posted by C. Hurt View Post
    Nice watch, with a very nicely preserved dial.

As I mentioned in your Dennison thread, it's a Fontainemelon, likely an FHF 3. I'm positive now, after looking up the patent number under the dial. There wasn't an abstract available, but it's a patent for the winding mechanism, issued in 1910.

CH51482 (A) - Mécanisme de remontage et de mise à l'heure
    Inventor(s): DE FONTAINEMELON FABRIQUE D HO [CH]
    Applicant(s): FONTAINEMELON HORLOGERIE [CH]
    Cheers C,

I think all three carry the same Patent.... now that i recognize the movement straight away when looking watches listed.... there are quite a few out there! Did Font have a large production output during this period?

Marc

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    ..... Is it just me!

3rd trench watch arrived today... out of the 4 I have bought in the last few weeks, 3 have had what appears to be a slight variation of the same movement! Again, this had movement pics... so did not know what to expect when it arrived...
    Isn't that strange, the first three trench watches I ever aquired all had A.S. movements.
    These FHF movements must have been popular and are definately familiar to me, I might
    even have a watch or two with this same movement.

must be a good movement to be in most trench watches....or just cheap SxxT lol hopefully just good movements

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    Isn't that strange, the first three trench watches I ever aquired all had A.S. movements.
    These FHF movements must have been popular and are definately familiar to me, I might
    even have a watch or two with this same movement.

I would not be surprised to here you have a few... if you have a good collection of Trench watches.... Might wait for a trench watch which includes a movement shot next time.... 3 could be enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    must be a good movement to be in most trench watches....or just cheap SxxT lol hopefully just good movements
    Cheers Joe for those reassuring words.....

Marc

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Thread Information