Another tuning fork...

Now I have 5 tunining fork watches:

Thanks for watching,

Axel

stuffler,mike

Re: Another tuning fork...

Good find, congrats

So what are the others? I see a Longines but can't tell about the rest... What is the Longines case? I can't believe it is titanium but the matte gray finish looks like it... A photo artifact??
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here are the others in big (the Longines case is ss, but brushed):

and her I tried to capture the smooth movement of the second hand:

Cheers,

Axel

sheffield-birthplace of the 'dreadnought'

axel- they're all gorgeous except the blue dialled ones (longines and zenith)- they are just stunning

the zenith is the nicest hummer that i ever recall seeing

rgds, john

Thanks a lot, John!

Cheers,

Axel

Do the tuning fork watches have a sweep second hand? I'm using a pda phone and some things won't load.. I really like the Bulova.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPedersen View Post
    Do the tuning fork watches have a sweep second hand?
    Most mechanical watches sweep at 28K hz... tuning fork watches move the second hand at 300k hz... they are truly smooth sweeping if that floats your boat

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Most mechanical watches sweep at 28K hz... tuning fork watches move the second hand at 300k hz... they are truly smooth sweeping if that floats your boat
    You are a bit mixed up on Hz (Hertz - cycles per second) versus BPH (beats per hour).

Most current mechanical watches run at 28,800 BPH (beats per hour not Hz which is cycles per second). These watches sweep the second hand at 8 Hz (these movements actually run at 4 Hz since a beat is a half-cycle).

An Accutron watch sweeps the second hand at 360 Hz so the comparison of smoothness of the Accutron second hand versus the mechanical second hand is 360 versus 8.

To the human eye the motion of the accutron sweep second hand appears continuous.

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    You are a bit mixed up on Hz (Hertz - cycles per second) versus BPH (beats per hour).

Most current mechanical watches run at 28,800 BPH (beats per hour not Hz which is cycles per second). These watches sweep the second hand at 8 Hz (these movements actually run at 4 Hz since a beat is a half-cycle).

An Accutron watch sweeps the second hand at 360 Hz so the comparison of smoothness of the Accutron second hand versus the mechanical second hand is 360 versus 8.

To the human eye the motion of the accutron sweep second hand appears continuous.
    You are correct :oops: As my old physics exams often showed, units of measure were my downfall!!

There is a thread in HEQ discussing this. It has a contribution from m4tt which is interesting as this is one of his real-world areas of specialty.

It turns out much of the processing of the optical input is in the brain and people can be 'trained' to see things others can not. For example, I can see 'jumping' in the second hand of mechanical watches... (I can't for tuning fork watches). Any human can see the jumping in a quartz watch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information