Another Waltham Information Needed Thread
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Another Waltham Information Needed Thread

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Waltham Information Needed Thread

Sorry if I missed this one somewhere, but been searching online and also plowing through the search function posts on here for a while and have not found this particular watch yet.

My brother bought this watch new. Does not remember if he purchased it while we were still living in England or when we moved here. Also does not remember when he bought it as it has been so long ago. Anyway, he gave me the watch and now I'm looking for any and all info I can find on it.

Things like if it was a somewhat quality from back then? Model it might be if it had a number or a name? Circa? Did they consider this a dive watch, military style or what was it? Do you think the flexi band is original? I just know it has been on the watch as long as I can remember. Band has "TWISTON USA" on the inside part of the links. Thoughts on what movement it might have. Just ANYTHING I can get really.

I hope my pictures are good enough quality for you to see the watch. Bit worn and the crystal is a bit scratched up. Could certainly use a good cleaning up.

Bezel turns both ways, but is quite firm to turn. Probably gunked up. Day and date change when you move the hands through a complete day cycle. Watch has been moved about with me taking snaps of it etc. and is running right now. Not worn it to see how consistent it stays that way or power reserves or anything.

Did my best to get measurement for you. Lug width is 20mm. Round part of the case measures 35.89mm. Width with crown measured 38.8mm. Length from end of lug to end of lug measured 43.41mm. Measured 13.3 thick.

Back says Waltham, Swiss Made, Automatic, All Stainless Steel Case

Dial says Waltham, Self-winding, Incabloc 25, T Swiss made T

I can't remove the back for a movement shot, sorry. No tools or skills there. Can say that my brother never had it worked on so whatever he bought it with is what it has now. Amazed that it is still running! Don't see any numbers on it anywhere between the lugs etc.

Thanks for any help!

Name:  DSCF9522.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  625.9 KB
    Name:  DSCF9523.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  624.3 KB
    Name:  DSCF9524.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  619.2 KB
    Name:  DSCF9526.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  620.4 KB
    Name:  DSCF9528.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  613.1 KB

Re: Another Waltham Information Needed Thread

T Swiss made T on dial indicates Tritrium lume used in the 50s and 60s..
    Hillingdoner likes this.

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by anzac1957 View Post
    T Swiss made T on dial indicates Tritrium lume used in the 50s and 60s..
    Not necessarily. I have the VSA from the late 80's, early 90's that says that on the dial

Hillingdoner likes this.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Possibly having a 25j 908 movement from the 70's?
    Hillingdoner likes this.

Tritium lume was used from early 1960s until replaced by non-radioactive lume at the beginning of the 1990s.
    I would expect something like an ETA or AS inside the watch. Would date it between late 1960s and mid-1980s, but that's quite a range of possibilities. Once you open it up and post a movement picture, we'll be able to tell you more- production years of the movement will narrow the possible period of production.
    The band is almost certainly not original.
    Strange... Shouldn't the day and date indicators be adjusted independently from each other, by quickset? That's how it's solved in the majority of day-dates I've seen... If the crown has 3 positions- closed, half-out and fully out (at least I use call it this way), when it's half-out it should adjust the date- day of the week by turning the crown in one direction, the day of the month- the other way. If the crown does work this way, but in the middle position it won't adjust the date, then the quickset mechanism is malfunctioning.
    As to opening the case... Buy a case wrench. Won't cost you much, and it's a really useful tool. Or, if you don't feel like doing that, simply ask a watchmaker(make sure he does not ask you to pay for opening the watch up!)
    Hillingdoner likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I have 2 case wrenches. One I bought with different heads and a walmart special that stays in my truck console for when I buy old used watches when I travel. The walmart ones are only a few bucks and will work for most watches.
    Hillingdoner likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Tritium lume was used from early 1960s until replaced by non-radioactive lume at the beginning of the 1990s.
    I would expect something like an ETA or AS inside the watch. Would date it between late 1960s and mid-1980s, but that's quite a range of possibilities. Once you open it up and post a movement picture, we'll be able to tell you more- production years of the movement will narrow the possible period of production.
    The band is almost certainly not original.
    Strange... Shouldn't the day and date indicators be adjusted independently from each other, by quickset? That's how it's solved in the majority of day-dates I've seen... If the crown has 3 positions- closed, half-out and fully out (at least I use call it this way), when it's half-out it should adjust the date- day of the week by turning the crown in one direction, the day of the month- the other way. If the crown does work this way, but in the middle position it won't adjust the date, then the quickset mechanism is malfunctioning.
    As to opening the case... Buy a case wrench. Won't cost you much, and it's a really useful tool. Or, if you don't feel like doing that, simply ask a watchmaker(make sure he does not ask you to pay for opening the watch up!)
    Hi,
    I tried this AM to get different positions on the crown pull out. The crown does not actually screw in, it just pulls out. In the "in" position you turn the crown clockwise and it winds the automatic movement to get it going. From there it appears, so far, to have only one pull out position. I tried to get a different "notch" position to see about any quick set area, but was unable to find one. Seems either in or out and that is it. As such the only way I see to adjust the day date at this point is to turn the hands through their cycle until it changes. Does not really make sense to me though as you'd have to turn through so many cycles to align the correct day with the correct date.

I just might not have the correct technique or knowledge to work the function correctly. Either that or it is so gunked up from when it was used when he had it and sitting since I've had it. OR, something just not working on it. Unsure at this point as don't know for sure how it is supposed to function.

With the band not being original, what band would you think came on it? Leather or would this have had some sort of rubber?

I'm leaning towards the watch being more of a military styled watch. That sound right? I don't see anything on it to say a depth rating. Also has 24 hour military time markings on the dial. Am I way off base?

From what everyone is saying date wise, I'm leaning toward 60's or 70's at a guess. Just because of how long I seem to remember this watch being around before it came to me. I'll see this weekend if I can find a place that will remove the back for me so I can get some movement shots.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR POSTS! I DO TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR TAKING THE TIME TO POST AND ALL YOUR INPUT AND HELP.
    Last edited by Hillingdoner; May 23rd, 2015 at 14:51.

I would say that it is a watch which was intended to be a cross-breed between a diver and military watch, but it's just the looks. No apparent qualities of any of these, I think...
    It probably came with another bracelet, or a leather strap. But if you'd ask me "What strap should I put it on?" then my answer is a NATO strap. Will give it a bit of a sporty look. There is a massive choice of these, so you can even get two or three and change them whenever you wish for your watch to look a bit different.
    Hillingdoner likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillingdoner View Post
    Hi,
    I tried this AM to get different positions on the crown pull out. The crown does not actually screw in, it just pulls out. In the "in" position you turn the crown clockwise and it winds the automatic movement to get it going. From there it appears, so far, to have only one pull out position. I tried to get a different "notch" position to see about any quick set area, but was unable to find one. Seems either in or out and that is it. As such the only way I see to adjust the day date at this point is to turn the hands through their cycle until it changes. Does not really make sense to me though as you'd have to turn through so many cycles to align the correct day with the correct date.
    The "Quickset" on most 60's era watches involved moving the time between 9:00pm and 12:00am...back and forth until you get the right date. The day of week didn't usually have a quickset; you had to advance the time through the full 24hrs to advance it. So usually you set that first, then you do the quickset to adjust the date. Most people only had one watch, so you only had to do this once. It's a bit more annoying for those of us who have dozens of watches... :S

Quote Originally Posted by Hillingdoner View Post
    I'm leaning towards the watch being more of a military styled watch. That sound right? I don't see anything on it to say a depth rating. Also has 24 hour military time markings on the dial. Am I way off base?
    It's a pretty typical Diver; the use of 24hr markings isn't exclusive to the military by any stretch of the imagination; european and canadian railways, for example, used 24hr time for schedules, and many airlines did too. Does the bezel turn in only one direction, or two? IN general, a bi-directional bezel is considered a "navigation" style bezel (used by pilots to assist with plotting their locations), while a uni-directional bezel is a more typical for a diver (divers set the bezel to tell them how long they can stay down, and while it's okay to come up earlier then you intended, coming up later can be deadly.)
    Hillingdoner likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Wow! What great info!

Well, went to a jeweler and their watch guy took the back off for me (free). So here are the pictures of the movement and the numbers inside the back part of the case.

If it is hard to read then here is what you have:

On the case back it has: WALTHAM WATCH COMPANY SWISS B - 341

On the winding rotor (hope that is the right term in my extreme noobness) - WALTHAM WATCH CO and under that TWENTY FIVE JEWELS 25 SWISS

Another big plate piece under that has: SWISS and WALTHAM WATCH CO under the Swiss

Down where the small spinning gear is where the spring part is there is an: LT and a little bit over from that on the other side of the wheel is AS 1906

Name:  DSCF9530.JPG
Views: 113
Size:  628.7 KB
    Name:  DSCF9531.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  630.3 KB
    Name:  DSCF9532.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  612.0 KB
    Name:  DSCF9533.JPG
Views: 111
Size:  626.1 KB