Another watch from my great-uncle's colection - info please!

Thread: Another watch from my great-uncle's colection - info please!

Another watch from my great-uncle's colection - info please!

I posted for info on another watch of my great-uncle's I received a few weeks back (https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=163224) - it was marked "Rubis" on the face (with a red star), Swiss-made Avalon Watch Co. That watch is currently in the hands of a reputable watch-maker in Nashville, who expects it to be ready by this weekend. I am very much looking forward to having it in good working order, and I expect to carry it often. I thank one and all for the info on it.

I received this watch from my father tonight - it also belonged to my great-uncle (my father's much older brother-in-law, after whom I was named - he was like a dad to my father, who lost his own dad at an early age). Anyway, this watch is also marked "Rubis" and is also a Swiss 17-jewel movement (by Delemont Watch Co.). It is the same size as the Avalon watch, but the case is marked base metal rather than the 10K of the Avalon. Also, as you can see, the Delemont watch is in MUCH nicer condition inside. It is currently running and keeping time.

Any info on this watch, or Delemont, Avalon or Rubis watches in general, would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Another watch from my great-uncle's colection - info please!

Your watch appears to have an ETA 6497/98 movement (originally made by Unitas). This movement has been made since the 1950s and is currently manufactured. It is known as a good, workhorse movement and has been used by many manufacturers in a broad range of pocket and wrist watches from inexpensive to costly.

Rubis just means jewels in French. It's possibly a generic brand or it might be the private label brand of a jeweler. It's pretty obscure either way. Chances are the two watches were bought at the same place or connected in some way.
    They are both decent mid 20th century Swiss models. They are still being made so you're lucky. Parts should be available to fix them if needed.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Many thanks to you both! I have been a casual fancier of pocket watches for many years, which is why my father gave me the three watches: my great-uncles' Avalon (Rubis) & Delemont (Rubis), and my great-grandfather's 1894 Elgin (https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=163221) which should also be done this weekend. Now I fear I have been bitten, and have embarked upon a new and expensive hobby!

Thank you for this fine forum - I lurk here daily, seeking to expand my knowledge. I have learned a great deal here already, and look forward to more.

Danger - pocket watch collecting can become a serious addiction. Just ask Eeeb. (More details to come.)

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I also collect guns and stringed instruments (guitars, mandolins and banjos), so I'm already broke as a country preacher!

Thread Information