Ansonia Watch Company

Thread: Ansonia Watch Company

Ansonia Watch Company

Another of the Early American Dollar Wathes was mfg. by the Ansonia Watch Co. of Brooklyn NY , owned by the Ansonia Clock Co of Connecticut. Ansonia produced over 10,000,000 Inexpensive Dollar watches between 1896-1929 when all the machinery from the factory was sold to a Russian investor in 1930. This one was housed in what some called a " Boy Proof" case. There was a snap on back cover over the screws that hold the mvt in the one piece case, with a snap on bezel and beveled glass crystal.Note that the stem was integral to the case and the movement lifted out, also a very easily removeable mainspring barrel for easy replacement.
    This watch was Model #1
    Rob31
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Rob31; November 3rd, 2008 at 07:18.

Re: Ansonia Watch Company

How is the time keeping on these dollar watches?

As I understand it, Dollar watches kept good time, but they required plenty of lubrication on account of there being no jewels in the movements...
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

River rat and Shangas,
    Absolutely correct, the dollar watches in general kept very adequate time for their initial expense. I believe that generally when new and for quite a few years they were able to keep time to within a minute or two a day Very small amounts of watch oil added to the wells on the back plate at each or 4 pivots yearly probably was adequate for quite a few years depending upon conditions carried under. Remember these were one of the first introductions of Americans to " The throwaway society" and unfortuneately we learned very quickly that it was often easier to purchase a new one , than to care for the original. I have lightly used and NOS watches that are 100 years old and older which I carry daily and they tend to keep time to within a minute in 24 hours. That is good enough for me and I get to carry a different watch, sometimes 2 different every day!!!
    ROB31
    Last edited by Rob31; November 3rd, 2008 at 07:20.

There are anecdotal stories about owners of dollar watches who resurrected dead ones by filling the movements with lighter fluid, shaking the watch and then dumping out the excess lighter fluid.

Lubricating the movement with lighter-fluid? Sounds a bit dangerous but...okay. Just make sure they slap a big: "No smoking" sign on the watch-case.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    Lubricating the movement with lighter-fluid? Sounds a bit dangerous but...okay. Just make sure they slap a big: "No smoking" sign on the watch-case.
    I suspect the lighter fluid was to remove the accumulated gunk from over oiling over the years.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

But the fluid wouldn't replace the old oils as a lubricant...would it?

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Banned

Correct, Shangas, you will get dry, unlubricated "contact points". It will run, but with accelerated wear.
    I find these "dollar watches" very interesting and fascinating!

I'm glad everyone is getting a kick out of viewing the dollar watches. I will continue posting some of the most interesting ones in my collection and try and cover all of the different companies. It is nice to see some interest returning in these important historic watches. Most folks that I know in the US who were born after 1920, most likely owned a dollar watch as their first watch. That includes the Generation before the Baby Boomers , and all of us Boomers. Often time horologists dismiss the lowly dollar watch, but with over 200,000,000 ultimately mfg. There is a lot of history out there still!
    Rob31

Thread Information