Antique Dunklings. Info wanted.
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Antique Dunklings. Info wanted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Antique Dunklings. Info wanted.

I am new here & maybe I don't belong but after following so many google leads, this is where I have ended up so I am hoping someone can shed some light on my boggle :) I know I will need to take it to a watch maker but in my small town there isn't one and I don't fancy sending it to someone I don't know, I would be heart broken if anything happened to it. I have a watch. It is rose gold hue on the main outside. It has a more yellow gold looking face with daisy like flowers stamped into it. It has the word Dunklings engraved or stamped onto it below the 12. I know Dunklings sold watches in Melbourne, Australia, and some of them were Rolex's. It says SWISS MADE below the 6. It has black numbers that look like they are printed on yellow/brownish paper (I know it's probably not paper!) It has dark blue hands. Obviously I can't open it up to see the inside. Does anyone know if it's a Rolex? I have tried to attach a photo, albeit a poor shot!
    I would love to hear any info anyone has about this kind of watch or even if you can send me onto someone who might be of more help. Thanks for your time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Antique Dunklings. Info wanted.

Over the years a large number of makers have private labeled watches for jewelers. Without seeing the movement, it is hard to say much about them as they could have come from anywhere. It is a bit optimistic to believe it came from Rolex.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thanks for your reply. I couldn't care if it's a Rolex or not, I am just curious because I know Dunkling used to make/sell/use Rolex parts, back when they were Wilsdorf & Davis. I just want to know more about the watch, it's age and what kind of band it would have had back in its day. I would ask the person who bout it but they passed away years ago. It's very pretty and has been in my family since the day it was bought but no one knows much about it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

like said for any info will need to look at the movement inside

According to the style this is most likely a late 20s / early 30s Art Deco Swiss made ladies watches probably cased locally in Australia in a Handley 9C case.
    Personally I would very much think this IS a Rolex (or at least an Aegler base such as Rolex) and if I were you I would have cared more if it was
    maysiek likes this.

Name:  photo (67).JPG
Views: 2862
Size:  940.0 KBName:  photo (69).JPG
Views: 2812
Size:  390.8 KBName:  photo (64).JPG
Views: 2769
Size:  518.2 KBName:  photo (65).JPG
Views: 2696
Size:  398.2 KB
    I am very excited, I had the watch opened today! I don't have a macro lens, and I'm not a photographer, just had a mobile with a camera to use. Sorry. Did my best. Yes it says HANDLEY (with a cute little hand logo too) on the inside case, 9ct, DUNKLINGS, 383422 is stamped on it. Under that, the numbers that looked all scratched up are 6186313 or 61863/3 I think. I did use a magnifying glass. There are also some mark near the edge of the case that look like they are 4347K or 4341K. So everyone, what do you think? How can I find out more? I would like to know what kind of strap it would have had too. It has been suggested ribbon perhaps.

It may well have had a ribbon strap. Often, these were made of grosgrain Grosgrain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is still available, but might be hard to find in the right width.

Scratched numbers are usually reference marks left by watchmakers so that they can refer back to their records if and when the watch is returned to them.

Nice watch.
    maysiek likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Hi there,

the movement is an AS 984 or any of its many variants:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 984

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Sadly, this one is FAR from being a Rolex

It's a little time since your original post but I may be able to add some more information. Dunklings were started in Melbourne Australia in the late 1800's and were renowned to be the place to go to for fine jewellery and watches. Dunklings did sell Rolex watches and many of them, before the famous oyster case , did not have Rolex on the dial only Dunklings. The only way of recognising that these were Rolex is by Rolex been engraved on the crown wheel on the movement. As has been previously stated unfortunately your watch is not a Rolex.

You mentioned your case was made by Handleys, Handleys was a manufacturer based in Melbourne and made case for many companies. At the time your watch was made the movements for private label watches was made by one company and the case by another. When I entered the watchmaking trade in the mid 70's Handleys was still a well known company although they had been out of business for some years. Handleys just did't make 9ct gold cases they also made plated cases in chrome and rolled gold cases.

I believe that looking at your watch that it would have had a leather strap rather than a ribbon band. I am basing this on other watches I have seen and also by the type of lugs that are on the watch.

I hope that this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information