Antique Longines
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Antique Longines

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Antique Longines

This was my father's watch; he gave it to me in 1980, had ity refinished around 86, and have worn it probably 15 years altogether since then. Is the screw on caseback common? I rarely see it. 10K GF.
    I know it's beat up, but I might have the whole thing re-done for sentimental reasons.
    Would it be possible to make it look close to new for $200?
    Focus, know anything about this one? I'll take the back off when I get one of those ball things, don't want to try using the tripod type remover.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Antique Longines

back

Nice watch! I'd say it depends on the level of restoration you want. If you want a basic-level service and maybe a new crystal, then it's probably possible, assuming that there are no major issues with the movement and that you have someone competent but cheapish nearby. If you want, however, things like repolishing and/or plating the case, refinishing the dial and such things, it might easily run to a lot more - and could also remove a lot of the character of the watch along the way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, I'd definitely want the dial refinished. I've had it done once already, about 24 years ago.

Banned

Nice heirloom, and glad to hear you're going to restore it. $200 might be a little low seeing as it needs some serious attention but you're in the ballpark. If the caseback is screw on, that means it's post 1952. The only Longines automatic before then with a subdial seconds display and no date window was the 22A, but it had a pop off back. The first in their line-up to have the screw-on back plus subdial seconds but without a date was the 19A which ran up to 1959-ish. The next series was the 29x, but no movement had that configuration of features. In 1960, the 34x came along. All of them had center seconds, but the sister 35x series which followed a couple years later had one or two that fit the parameters. They had odd numbers (ie: 351, 353 or 355) to denote the date feature and even numbers for non-date movements. So by elimination it's either a 19A or a 350/352 inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawyer View Post
    Yeah, I'd definitely want the dial refinished. I've had it done once already, about 24 years ago.
    I hear Kirk in LA does a good job with Longines, and International in Ohio is reasonably priced.

Thanks Focus, I kept some of your earlier recommendations, pretty sure Kirk was one of them.
    Whatever movement is in it is a workhorse.The watch has been ridden hard and put up wet for a lot of years, and still keeps excellent time. Sure has made me a Longines believer. I have one of those ball-type back removers on the way, and will take a pic of movement when it comes in.
    Thanks again

Got it cleaned up some

Shum, Sdasurrey, busmatt and 1 others like this.

That was an understatement.

Very nice!

Wow!!
    Super job
    Enjoy wearing your Fathers watch
    Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thanks guys, I'm really enjoying it~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information