Antique Longines Questions....

Thread: Antique Longines Questions....

Antique Longines Questions....

Hi - first off, pls forgive any gaffs I make as I am a newbie watch collector! Thanks to 'Watchbreath' for advice on which forum to post this on.

Today I received my Longines antique watch, recently purchased from Canada. I love it - and it seems to be everything I had hope for . I have done some research but still have a couple of issues that I would like to learn. I have attached 3 views of: face, case and inner workings.

The watch seems to have been made between 1944-1946 (6924653), depending on which lists I read. But while researching the case, I've hit a brick wall. It has 14ct (0.585) gold marks, a serial number of 6881402, "LR694" and "LR272" etched into the case and a graphic motif which looks like "AB". I thought it was Baume & Co but have seen no other mark similar to this one.

By the way, the mucky looking stuff is just grease etc, not corrosion! I think the watch needs a clean and service.

So, to the point: I would be extremely grateful for any info the experts could provide about the case and its manufacturer and also any info on the inner watch working pattern/series.

Many thanks! Ian

Re: Antique Longines Questions....

Cases are far less researched than movements. Their serial numbers can not be related to year of manufacture for most. And the 'inscriptions' found inside the caseback are scratched by random watchmakers using their own codes.

But gold hallmarks can often identify the country of origin, purity, and often the gold foundry. Verbal descriptions are not as useful as closeup pictures.

You have a wonderful looking minimalist dial -- I would have thought it later than the end of WWII but bauhaus design does start in the 20s.

In horology I associate "antique" with obsolete technologies. This watch only lacks an automatic winding system from being modern!! More detail in the movement pic and we can tell you the actual movement designation.

Welcome to the black hole of collecting -- once folks come to Vintage they can't leave
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Welcome!! Awesome looking watch!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That is a very nice watch - very clean, classy, look to it.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thread Information