Antique Pocket Watch "Ancre 8 Jours"

Thread: Antique Pocket Watch "Ancre 8 Jours"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Antique Pocket Watch "Ancre 8 Jours"

I have a few watches like this one (picture). My father bought them in Europe like 20 years ago. Seems to me like old watches but i wish to know more about them. In the back panel you can read "8 Jours Levres Visible, double pla..es, Garantie interchangeable, ANCRE"

Seems to me like they are golden plated. Please, can someone tell me more info about this one?

THanks
    Jacques
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Antique Pocket Watch "Ancre 8 Jours"

Looks like something by Hebdomas:

http://www.hebdomas.com

I think they still make them nowadays as wrist watches - in the same style (subdial, partly open dial with engraved bridge showing).

Hartmut Richter

Here's mine:

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

can't tell you much but here's mine

Quote Originally Posted by Jeje3325 View Post

that is one huge mainspring barrel
    I'm a watchbreaker not a watchmaker.

i have pocket watch 8 jours octomas I inherited it from an ancestor who was a very wealthy so I wonder who is right that we can evaluate it and respond in advance grateful [email protected] Name:  DSC_0380.jpg
Views: 6905
Size:  406.3 KBName:  DSC_0381.jpg
Views: 8247
Size:  457.6 KBName:  DSC_0384.jpg
Views: 6328
Size:  719.4 KB

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your watch. However, we don't give valuations here since we cannot be precise without seeing the watch "in person" (and in many cases not even if we could see it "in person") and a wide range is no use to you. It is generally similar to the others shown here so I would advise you to scour the net for other such specimens with official price tags and generate an average.

Hartmut Richter

Hartmut is right because there were many versions over a long period starting with 1888 Swiss patent. Most were big spring 6 jewels. Better ones were 15j. Many cases and dial qualities. Normally considered novelties, but not really cheap on today's collector market. Rarely found with expensive cases.Sold with many different dial marked names Swiss and American. I believe I have a best grade one. 15j with fancy dial and original 18k hunter case. Normally open face. With original box from their Swiss location.
    Made before they imprinted prize medals in cases 1900+. Marked only 1888 patent. Originator attempted to get into high q market initially I believe, but I also believe the movement design never capable of high accuracy. I am sure case is original as the big mainspring needs to be accomodated wth a deep back. Not seen by me are any with double hinge backs perhaps for that reason. Otto Schild took over the
    production from Gallie 1895? and made it a popular lower cost novelty special mostly but there are some odd good ones. An interesting variety that could make up a large collection.

Name:  P1000357acopy.jpg
Views: 6092
Size:  242.4 KBName:  P1000350acopy.jpg
Views: 6137
Size:  227.7 KBName:  P1000381aacopy.jpg
Views: 5911
Size:  146.7 KBName:  P1000340acopy.jpg
Views: 5820
Size:  85.9 KB

I just got one that is different from most others I have seen. It doesn't say Hebdomas anywhere on it and the barrel decoration is unique, to me anyway. It's not pristine but it works and keeps reasonable time. It is pin set which means it's probably pre 1920.

Well, it is the same in principle - dial setup is the same and it has a large mainspring barrel on top of the main movement for the eight day power reserve. Except that this is decorated.....

Hartmut Richter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information