Any Benrus Fans - Self Regulating

Thread: Any Benrus Fans - Self Regulating

Any Benrus Fans - Self Regulating

So this one is on the way. I probably paid more than it is worth but I want to play around with it. Case will need a light rub with a polishing cloth to get rid of the tarnish....anyone that says gold will not tarnish lies, especially under 14K.

Anyway there are few things about it that caught me. The logo under Benrus. I have seen a dial with that before but no idea what it means.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	12653705

The dial looks original. The seconds hand may be....not 100% sure on that though.

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	12653707

The back gives no clue what is inside but it should be a self regulating Model ER23

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	334.7 KB 
ID:	12653715

The movement should be like the one here....

BENRUS Sub-second Manual-Wind Watch by Big Ben Watches

It is a modified ETA 2372. So the big question is....how does it self regulate?

Name:  Benrus ER23.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  27.4 KB

Re: Any Benrus Fans - Self Regulating

Very interesting. I don't remember coming across "self regulating" before so I will also follow this with interest. There is not anything to indicate there is any gold at all in the bezel. I would assume it is just gold tone over base metal? I think there is usually some notation for gold filled or rolled gold or electroplated.

Some watches had a marking between the lugs as to the gold plating. Some did not and you would assume a base metal with a steel back. I can see some brass peeking out so I am figuring gold filled with a brass base.

I have heard of people self regulating their watches by leaving them in certain positions but this watch looks to have a mechanism to do something top the regulator. Not sure it is positional or temp but a solid balance usually does not need temp regulation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A link to "Self Regulating Watches"
    https://books.google.com/books?id=De...epage&q&f=true
    " I like Chiken farming and old clock " --- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by marks55 View Post
    So the regulator is tied to time setting. So the only way a watch like this could have a date function would be if it was quick set or it would screw up the regulation. So to set the regulator back to center would mean that it would have to be on a friction set pinion like a cannon pinion. So you could adjust it back but leave it functional for setting the hands again.

All of this is speculation though on my part. It would also mean when putting the hands on you have it close to the actual time or you will throw off the timing when setting the time.

Wait I see a screw that may allow you to disengage it.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by thoth; November 14th, 2017 at 04:45.

The way this explained to me was, it would only self adjust if adjustments of less than 15 minutes were made. The 15 minute cut off
    would allow a watch that had stopped (run down) to be reset or needed a date change to be made without engaging the regulation feature.
    Sounds a bit over complicated to me, though. A gimmick that didn't last long?
    " I like Chiken farming and old clock " --- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by marks55 View Post
    The way this explained to me was, it would only self adjust if adjustments of less than 15 minutes were made. The 15 minute cut off
    would allow a watch that had stopped (run down) to be reset or needed a date change to be made without engaging the regulation feature.
    Sounds a bit over complicated to me, though. A gimmick that didn't last long?
    Interesting. I can understand the concept in that if you have to adjust the time by a min a day then the regulator being moved that little bit would compensate and make it to where you would have less and less of a need to keep adjusting the time. A gimmick that made some sense but was probably seen as pointless if you just kept your watch serviced and it was already accurate enough to be within 30 seconds a day. I like the idea though. Kind of letting the wears set the fine tuning of the regulator to be done by just their normal habits. Not sure how many other companies tried to do the same thing.

Thread Information