Any Help - Huge Vintage Omega Skeleton
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any Help - Huge Vintage Omega Skeleton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any Help - Huge Vintage Omega Skeleton

Greetings,

This is my first post so if I violate any rules of etiquette please forgive me.
    I recently acquired this enormous Omega wristwatch. I have tried to research
    it and am stumped. I've never seen anything like it. My watch technician seems
    pretty confident that it is real...and frankly it seems too elaborate to fake.

Based on its size, I suppose it could have been a pocket watch converted
    to a wristwatch but again my watch tech believes the gizmos that hold the
    band were put there by Omega.

This watch appears to be a commemorative of the 1893-1896 Norwegian
    Polar Expedition on the ship Fram. I do not know if all of this engraving
    and dial were done by Omega or not. The case serial dates it to 1914.
    I cannot find a serial or caliber number on the movement.

The watch runs and keeps excellent time, but if allowed to stop,
    will not automatically restart upon winding. (You have to give it a
    little shake.) Is that normal or signs of a problem?

Any information of comments would be appreciated!

Photos speak 1000 words.

Attachment 1109723 Attachment 1109724
    Attachment 1109728 Attachment 1109722
    Attachment 1109730 Attachment 1109731
    Attachment 1109732 Attachment 1109733
    Attachment 1109734 Attachment 1109735
    Attachment 1109736 Attachment 1109737
    Attachment 1109738 Attachment 1109739
    Attachment 1109740 Attachment 1109741
    Attachment 1109742 Attachment 1109743
    Attachment 1109744 Attachment 1109745

Thanks!

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by piusfelix; June 5th, 2013 at 07:11.

Re: Any Help - Huge Vintage Omega Skeleton

Yup, a converted pocket Watch. Real Omega movement? Sure, but what your Eastern bloc friend has done to it has made it fairly unwieldy as a wristwatch. With no shock protection, you'd need to be careful.

sent from within DragonDan's galaxy
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs

That is BEAUTIFUL! I mean wow! I'm slightly speechless. Truly beautiful timepiece.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No something I would wear often. Does it have value?

Quote Originally Posted by piusfelix View Post
    No something I would wear often. Does it have value?
    Hi there and welcome.

There have been a few threads on similar ones (excuse the rant by me within)

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/ome...ch-537456.html

or slightly different

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/geo...on-719176.html

The engraving on your watch is nicer than most seen on WUS... pains me to say. But, I doubt this left Omega like this...

These once original pocket watches were not designed to be worn on the wrist... but instead the pocket! As such (like Dan says), these are not really suited for wearing on the wrist... as knocks, dink, etc are more likely to cause damage - partly due to the lack of shock protection.

Does it have 'Value'?.... we dont give 'valuations'... but guess its current market value is what you paid for it... If the watch was 'original' and shown here as a pocket watch... its value would not be that great. So, in reality, the value comes from the 'skill'/time taken to recently engrave and convert the watch, mixed with the hope that uninformed buyers think they are buying an amazing piece of Omega history.... and how can you put a price on that!!

As for its authenticity... you have the case serial number... you could try contacting Omega! Maybe they will say its a one off special!

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Very few watches including complex wristwatches had any form of shock protection prior to 1940.
    Trench Watches are a prime example but were worn then and now in severe conditions.
    Actually since Breguet invented shock absorber in 1790 (Parachute) its slightly strange it was not accomodated until around 1940. After the invention in 1933 of 'Incablock'

To me, the issue of converted pocket watches or indeed early wristwatches is sealing/humidity issues. These 'hinged' cases just do not seal well and truly open to moist/humidity if worn on the wrist.

@piusfelix
    Welcome - nice looking piece - we call it a 'FRANKEN' - it surely was a pocket watch - i doubt the movement looked anything like that originally.
    Looks good, but I am 100% against these 'Frankens' as they were never made in that form by OEM

That ssaid - Enjoy. Value? All I can say is I am AMAZED how high they sell for

Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Commemorative of the Norwegian Polar Expedition - in English. 1893 1896 years. I'm fairly sure that Omega would have ensured that they used the right language and if they did use English would not have made an amateur translation mistake.

The issue with shock protection is not that early wristwatches didn't have it, it's that early wristwatches were on the whole much smaller with much smaller balance wheels and were thus less vulnerable to shock impacts. As a pocket watch it didn't have much value, as a wristwatch it typically only has value as a fashion piece.

You need a new watch tech.
    redcow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    it's that early wristwatches were on the whole much smaller with much smaller balance wheels and were thus less vulnerable to shock impacts. As a pocket watch it didn't have much value, as a wristwatch it typically only has value as a fashion piece.
    That is a very valid point, its NOT just the omission of shock protection, but also the large balance wheel
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

You need a new watch tech.
    +1
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Commemorative of the Norwegian Polar Expedition - in English. 1893 1896 years. I'm fairly sure that Omega would have ensured that they used the right language and if they did use English would not have made an amateur translation mistake.
    And I'm sure they would have got the picture of the ship right. The "Fram" (Fridtjof Nansen's ship) certainly didn't look like a 17th century galleon.....!

Beaufort Gyre Exploration Project | History | Nansen and the Drift of the Fram (1893-1896)

Hartmut Richter
    Mirius, redcow and Noam the Newt like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information