any help to identify this watch please.

Thread: any help to identify this watch please.

any help to identify this watch please.

i found this in a box of bits i bought. i have no idea who makes it. its 14K stamped on the back of the cover plate at the back and what looks like JL just under it.

under the dust cover there is cuivre or mite be guivre and the number 261991 which to me looks like a date rather than a model or manufacturers number.

has anyone got any ideas on who made it and if its worth taking somewhere to have it cleaned and oiled.

if i wind it up it goes for about 8 hours then stops, dont no if thats how long it should run for or if it needs a bit or repair done on the inside.

its about 44cm across so i would have said a lady's pocket watch (yes i no i'm clever lol)

any help would be much appreciated..

Last edited by nohope; July 12th, 2010 at 21:32.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: any help to identify this watch please.

I am sorry to say that, despite the gold, it is not worth that much. The movement is a pretty generic and somewhat pedestrian cylindre escapement calibre from ca. 1900. Better than a Roskopf pin levre movement but not as good as the Swiss lever systems even form the days it was made it. As such, it would not really be worth servicing it but, if nothing is broken, it would be cheap enough if your heart is deeply attached to it. If it is broken, the bill would very likely be too high for it to be savageable unless you find an identical calibre and cannibalize the parts.

Hartmut Richter

thanks for the reply. its a nice little piece and i've taken bit of a shine to it.
    not been interested in watches, dont even have one, but after having this one sitting on my desk in front of me for the past few days i've found myself looking about on the net and in local junk shops for pocket watches. think i mite have found something to take up my spare time lol, boot sales here i come....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nohope View Post
    ... think i mite have found something to take up my spare time lol, boot sales here i come....

Welcome to the club!
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by nohope View Post
    t i've found myself looking about on the net and in local junk shops for pocket watches. think i mite have found something to take up my spare time lol, boot sales here i come....
    You're doomed, welcome to the obsession and the forum.

Kev

Thread Information