Any help identifying a 1948 Tissot please?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Any help identifying a 1948 Tissot please?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Any help identifying a 1948 Tissot please?

Hi all, sadly just recently my dad passed away.
    Whilst sorting out all his belongings we have come across his 21st birthday present from his mother. It's a Tissot watch and the inscription on the back states that it was given in 1948.
    The back of the watch has the following number along the left side 2120517, which I believe concurs with the 1948 dated inscription.
    Just above this serial number is an oval(ish) impression which appears to have 0585 inside it.
    The watch is gold in colour as you can see, but I have no idea whether it's gold or not.
    The watch doesn't work nor does it wind (though I only tried to turn the winder lightly).

Sadly my camera went belly up after one picture and my phone won't take pictures clearly so close to the watch, so I'm stuck with just this one picture for the moment.

Any info would be gratefully received. Many thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Quackers; October 14th, 2012 at 18:25.

Re: Any help identifying a 1948 Tissot please?

It certainly looks like a 40's style. A pic of the movement would help a lot... and the serial number on the movement will further help in dating.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thanks Eeeb.
    I've got the back open and it's hinged at one end.
    There is something written on the inside of the caseback but it's so small I can't read it.
    On the bridge (I think it is) in the movement is written
    CHF Tissot & fils
    Locle
    but I can't see any serial number on the movement at all.
    I'll work on a picture of the movement for tomorrow.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

0585 hallmark means that it is 14K gold.

Thanks vbomega I was thinking that, but wasn't sure about the first 0.
    In all honesty it looks like gold but I'm not sure it feels like it. Inside the caseback as far as I can make out is a mark that looks like "R&Co" or something like that.
    The actual inside of the caseback looks full of swirls, like machining, but I'm not convinced it's gold.
    There is no movement number visible and no number of jewels shown, though I can see 3 jewels, LOL

I've taken a picture of the movement with my phone. I'm not sure it will help at all as my phone does not do good close-ups, but here it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the States this would probably only cost about $75 to $100 to get serviced and working. Few folks have such heirlooms...

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

That is certainly an option. I'm not aware of any local vintage watch people but I could make enquires. Maybe he or she could advise as to how good/bad the watch is and what would be necessary to get it running again.
    I'm not convinced it's gold though. However my grandmother (the buyer) did buy gold items for all her other children on their 21st birthdays.
    It's certainly not as shiny inside as I expected. Although it could just have been opened a lot in its life
    The marks on the inside of the caseback are somewhat ambiguous too.
    Last edited by Quackers; October 15th, 2012 at 01:43.

Yes get it serviced and should look good and run well.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    That is certainly an option. I'm not aware of any local vintage watch people but I could make enquires. Maybe he or she could advise as to how good/bad the watch is and what would be necessary to get it running again.
    I'm not convinced it's gold though. However my grandmother (the buyer) did buy gold items for all her other children on their 21st birthdays.
    It's certainly not as shiny inside as I expected. Although it could just have been opened a lot in its life
    The marks on the inside of the caseback are somewhat ambiguous too.
    When repaired, watchmakers traditionally scratch a work order id on the inside of the caseback.

If hallmarked as gold, it is. Faking gold hallmarks will get you prosecuted a lot faster than faking the whole watch!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information