Any ideas on this double faced, protected front pocket watch?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mirius

Thread: Any ideas on this double faced, protected front pocket watch?

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    5

    Any ideas on this double faced, protected front pocket watch?

    I am trying to identify this pocket watch but there isn't anything on it to go by. There is a small BR+ stamped on two of the mechanism pieces. I have been told the mechanism is probably a Roskopf. It looks military to me. It is intriguing.
    Attached Images Attached Images






  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    5

    Re: Any ideas on this double faced, protected front pocket watch?

    forgot to mention it does say Swiss Made on the main movement back

  3. #3
    Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    3,603

    Any ideas on this double faced, protected front pocket watch?

    Welcome!

    Roskopf style movement as noted. Using discs instead of hands had a spike of popularity in the Twenties. Nothing strikes me as military. Low quality fashion watch of the period.


  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    5

    Re: Any ideas on this double faced, protected front pocket watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Welcome!

    Roskopf style movement as noted. Using discs instead of hands had a spike of popularity in the Twenties. Nothing strikes me as military. Low quality fashion watch of the period.
    Very interesting that this type of disc in lieu of hands was popular in the 1920's. I was thinking military because the case feels like it is protecting the watch while still allowing just the present time to be seen. As in a potential shelling situation or whatnot. You feel it is simply a fashion statement. Thank you for your input!

  6. #5
    Zenith Forum Co-moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,578

    Re: Any ideas on this double faced, protected front pocket watch?

    Here's your movement (with some minor differences in the detail - probably due to generational deviations):

    bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 576

    Military watches didn't really use digital displays - it became a fancy trend after WWI in the 1920s.

    Hartmut Richter

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    5

    Re: Any ideas on this double faced, protected front pocket watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Here's your movement (with some minor differences in the detail - probably due to generational deviations):

    military watches didn't really use digital displays - it became a fancy trend after WWI in the 1920s.

    Hartmut Richter
    Oh my lord you found it! I cannot believe it! Thank you that is amazing. How did you do it?
    So then what is this watch? Not military, just some random watch design from the 1920's? Certainly a bizarre cover for a fashion watch.
    The pictures you found do not show a cover on the front. Do you know where I would go next to find where these movements were used?
    Thank you again for finding this info! You had to look on a German website to find it !

  8. #7
    Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    17,837

    Re: Any ideas on this double faced, protected front pocket watch?

    Digital watches have had several brief bursts of popularity over the last half millennium. In the 1920s the fad coincided with the rise of Art Deco fashion. More commonly seen were small rectangular wrist watches having a jump-hour mechanism. This Roskopf pocket watch represents the entry level digital watch being of the cheapest construction and having a simple 'direct read' display (i.e. continuously rotating hour display, rather than jumping). This is not the sort of watch that gets handed down as an heirloom, which makes it rather rare these days and therefore (in my opinion) more historically important as a record of popular fashion.

    Incidentally, I was at a vintage and classic car display a few months ago and I noticed that every 1920s American car on display had a digital speedometer, but only the 1920s Americans. Even a British Chevrolet for the Australian market used conventional instruments. Fashion is a funny thing.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    5

    Re: Any ideas on this double faced, protected front pocket watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    Digital watches have had several brief bursts of popularity over the last half millennium. In the 1920s the fad coincided with the rise of Art Deco fashion. More commonly seen were small rectangular wrist watches having a jump-hour mechanism. This Roskopf pocket watch represents the entry level digital watch being of the cheapest construction and having a simple 'direct read' display (i.e. continuously rotating hour display, rather than jumping). This is not the sort of watch that gets handed down as an heirloom, which makes it rather rare these days and therefore (in my opinion) more historically important as a record of popular fashion.

    Incidentally, I was at a vintage and classic car display a few months ago and I noticed that every 1920s American car on display had a digital speedometer, but only the 1920s Americans. Even a British Chevrolet for the Australian market used conventional instruments. Fashion is a funny thing.

    That is very interesting! So in trying to put this puzzle together, I see this particular movement being used initially in 1904 as shown in The Proletariat Watch. The digital dial then becomes popular in the 1920's. As a novice to this addicting watch thing, I am wondering why they stuck a 1904 movement in a 1920's watch when Roskopf had done other newer movements after 1904? Probably a dumb question, but there you have it.

  10. #9
    Zenith Forum Co-moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,578

    Re: Any ideas on this double faced, protected front pocket watch?

    How did I find it?! Systematic searching! If you want to identify a movement, the first place to stop off is Ranfft's website and use the extended search engine. And in this case, I had the movement parked at the back of my mind - I have seen it before. And when it comes to old movements, Adolf Schild (AS) are a decent bet since they used to be one of the largest makers.....

    As for putting a 1904 movement into a 1920s case, the movement was probably not made in 1904. It was developed and brought out in 1904 but this particular one was probably made rather later. Remember that the Zenith Cal. 3019 (now Cal. 400) came out in 1969 and is still being made, that the ETA 2824 and ETA 2892 (two of the most commonly used movements in the world these days) were in existence by the mid seventies and that the Valjoux Cal. 22 might still hold the record at 60 years production (1914-1974).

    Hartmut Richter

  11. #10
    Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    3,603

    Any ideas on this double faced, protected front pocket watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by mouse potato View Post
    That is very interesting! So in trying to put this puzzle together, I see this particular movement being used initially in 1904 as shown in The Proletariat Watch. The digital dial then becomes popular in the 1920's. As a novice to this addicting watch thing, I am wondering why they stuck a 1904 movement in a 1920's watch when Roskopf had done other newer movements after 1904? Probably a dumb question, but there you have it.
    As I said in my reply it’s a cheap fashion watch. It was sold to a price point hence the low grade movement. The buyers wanted a watch that matched the fashion for the year or two the fashion lasted and then it would be discarded. Just like any other fashion accessory. I have quite a variety of similar watches in my collection. Interesting for some of us but of little interest to the mainstream collectors who are purely value oriented.
    Chascomm likes this.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Any idea on how I can wear a pocket watch on my wrist?
      By matt1415 in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 26
      Last Post: August 22nd, 2015, 17:06
    2. Replies: 1
      Last Post: January 17th, 2013, 10:20
    3. anyone have any info on this calendar and moon phase pocket watch
      By micaela in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: October 28th, 2011, 17:05
    4. any idea about this one..
      By ecalzo in forum Russian watches
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: April 13th, 2007, 14:34
    5. Any idea what this symbol means?
      By colbypaperboy in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: September 24th, 2006, 14:58

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •