Any info about my Omega pocket watch 24 hour?

Thread: Any info about my Omega pocket watch 24 hour?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any info about my Omega pocket watch 24 hour?

Hi you guys!
    All new at this- please play nice. Im sitting here, all clueless, with my Omega pocket watch in silver (it says 0,800) that I got from my grandfather who used it when he was building railroads in Sweden. I think it was made before 1934 from a grouse hallmark (At least it is according to this website http://www.925-1000.com/foreign_marks.html) and it has a reference number but Ive had no luck finding it on Omegas vintage information page. It is a Bienne Geneve and it has also got a mark with a crown and moon. Is that a mark of export? The markings of the movement are the letters FA and SR. There is also another number- 6327101.

Anyhow Ive been looking all over for some info about this but Ive never seen anything like it. Anyone who knows more about it? When I talked to an auctioneer about it they said it was worthless because it was so common. Is it really common?
    Help.. :thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Snorkel; May 17th, 2010 at 11:24.

Re: Any info about my Omega pocket watch 24 hour?

I know nothing about pocket watches - but its certainly not worthless.

Anyway, the crown and moon mark is most probably for Germany (same website as you've already found). Possibly the case was made in Germany and sent to Switzerland.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Interesting 24 hour watch. Do post pictures with descriptioon of all markings of the movement and someone will be able to tell you more.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanx!
    Just uploaded som more photos and Ill try my luck on the Omega forum aswell.

It would help if you could show pictures and markings of the movement. That will involve opening the second lid on the back. If you don't know how you may bring it to a watchmaker who should be able to show you without charge.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkel View Post
    When I talked to an auctioneer about it they said it was worthless because it was so common. Is it really common?
    Worthless? Sure is - send it to me and I'll take care of its proper disposal!

You think there is something fishy about that remark? Smart guy! Never, never EVER believe someone who tells you that about your family heirloom without reasonable justification. Common?! I certainly have never seen one exactly like it before although I do know that others are around so it has no uniqueness value. Apart from that, it's an Omega in good condition and, while these things don't exactly go for as much as a 19th century Patek Philippe repeater, they aren't exactly cheap either. Probably someone trying it on to see whether you'd be willing to see whether you'd sell it to him for N$ so that he can sell it for 10xN$.....

Other than that, I must say that the case looks almost identical to that on my Zenith PW from the late twenties/early thirties. Silver case, rose gold plated on the edges, guilloche back with coat of arms - only the exact style of the coat of arms differs. Which shows that both companies got cases from external suppliers, that this was one of the styles that was popular at the time, that it was reasonably generic - and probably that your watch is from around that period as well.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    It would help if you could show pictures and markings of the movement.
    I just realized how to open it. Im so proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Worthless? Sure is - send it to me and I'll take care of its proper disposal!

You think there is something fishy about that remark?
    Yeah.. I guess thats why Im here.. fishy indeed. Great to hear about your watch aswell! I guess it would be cool to keep it in the family. Although it would be nice to have a more informative story to tell about it. =)

If I were to sell it though - how and where should I do it? I thought an auctioneer would be the best way to go since they seem to be all serious and knowledgeable.

Now please describe any and all markings found on the movement, including under the balance wheel (at the left in your movement picture -don't touch the wheel itself!).
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    Now please describe any and all markings found on the movement, including under the balance wheel (at the left in your movement picture -don't touch the wheel itself!).
    I did.. I put it under my original question, but here it is: The markings of the movement are the letters FA and SR. There is also another number- 6327101. Under the letters which are standing vertically (the pair are adjacent to eachother) there is an ornament. Cant really find anything else here. It says Omega on the movement too. How do I get under the wheel?
    Last edited by Snorkel; May 17th, 2010 at 15:15.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information