Any info appreciated on old pocket watch

Thread: Any info appreciated on old pocket watch

Any info appreciated on old pocket watch

I received as a Christmas present this beautiful pocket watch. This is a family heirloom and I will treasure it!

I know nothing about pocket watches. It would be great if you could help me with any info you might have.

I set and then wound the watch (about 40 turns) and it started ticking beautifully. How many turns does it need to be fully wound and how often do I need to wind it?

On the dial it says

AD. STÖCKEL NACHF.
    PLAUEN

I was told that it was once gold-plated and that it has an Omega movement inside.

Cheers

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Casio G-Shock Mudman "Men in Smoky Gray" GW-9300GY-1JF
    Casio MTD-1054D-1AVEF on Praetorian DiverTec Extrem Nato Strap

My photography blog: http://strongblackcoffee.net

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Any info appreciated on old pocket watch

Congratulations on your present! At first glance, the watch looks inter-war but it could still be from 1900-1914. I doubt that it has an Omega movement in it - it is German. The Dial inscription has the name "A.D. Stöckel", "Nachf." is short for "Nachfahre(n)" or "Nachfolger" meaning "heir" or "successor" and the place it was made is Plauen in Sachsen (Saxony), a German state. But then, if you are located in Germany, you may well know this already..... Some pictures of the inside case back and the movement would help tell more.

Hartmut Richter
    Last edited by Hartmut Richter; December 24th, 2011 at 21:56.

A nice watch.

A pocketwatch is typically powered by a 36-40 hour mainspring. So you should ideally wind it once a day. Preferrably at the same time each day. So every morning when you wake up. Every night when you go to bed. Every afternoon at lunch. Something like that. Myself, I typically wind up my watch each day around lunchtime.

How many turns it takes to wind a watch fully depends. You just wind it until it stops winding. Then let it run.

Whatever you do, make sure the watch is serviced before you use it regularly, or you'll wear out the movement (the engine inside) and you'll end up with a paperweight, not a pocketwach.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi!

Sorry for not replying earlier, was busy.

Cheers Hartmut and Changas for your info.

@Hartmut, I'm German, so I guessed as much but thanks for the info :) Do you know anything about that company?

@Shangas, I followed your advise too!

I talked to my father-in-law about the watch and he said that it was serviced recently. He also said that it's from the 1920s.

Today I took it to a watchmaker to have him have a look as well, and to see what movement is actually inside.... drumroll... it's an Omega :)

According to the watchmaker it is a reliable, quality movement. Nothing fancy but a workhorse.

So I have had it running for the last few days now and it needs 25 turns to wind (then it stops winding) each 24 hours. I wind it about about 9pm each day and already look forward to it each morning :).

It seems to loose about a second a day so far.

Here's a snap of the movement (Sorry for the quality, iPhone is all I had with me):

Name:  IMG_1978.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  971.4 KB

Anyone got any more info?

Cheers

Mike
    Casio G-Shock Mudman "Men in Smoky Gray" GW-9300GY-1JF
    Casio MTD-1054D-1AVEF on Praetorian DiverTec Extrem Nato Strap

My photography blog: http://strongblackcoffee.net

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Well, well, well! It really does look like a genuine Omega movement. The style of writing is pre-WWI. In which case, there are two main options. One is that we are looking at a mariage, a watch made from parts. Omega movement in a German pocket watch. The other is that Stöckel in Plauen is really a watch vendor/jeweller and that Omega made the watch with his name on the dial. This is not unusual - the most famous examples are the older Tiffany watches that were not made by them but rather made for them (some of them also having the name of the watchmaker, e.g. "Tiffany - Cartier"). In which case, the ones to ask would be Omega - they may be able to tell you more.

Hartmut Richter

No serial number? It looks like a standard Omega 19 model. The Omega 19 was the product of Louis Brandt et Fils; their attempt to mimic the success of the American watchmakers using replaceable machined parts. It was, to say the least, successful. One of their big markets was "jobber" watches; they'd sell to jewelers and jobbers and the like, and would print the customers name (or whatever they wanted) on the dial or even on the movement itself (for extra, of course). That's probably where this one came from.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information