Any info on this Gurzelen pocket watch? - Page 2

Thread: Any info on this Gurzelen pocket watch?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Any info on this Gurzelen pocket watch?

I assume you mean the movement was stamped? Is it the star and garter symbol or just the word? Any resemblance to known L. Brandt calibers?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I just spoke to my pop about the information I gathered and he said he remembers the watch not being operational and that his grandfather had the watch repaired some 30 or 40 years ago, hence the clean movement. I guess the original movement was stamped and could be traced but it was replaced with this generic movement by God knows whom. Wish I knew where the original one ended up.
    We've decided to look for a watch expert here in my country and to have the watch looked over to see if we can have it repaired and restored. I think its a beautiful piece of my family's history.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I see nothing to suggest that this isn't the original calibre. I know that there has been some talk of high end, but given the case design I'd pretty much expect to see something like this inside. You will note that the case itself isn't made of precious metal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    I assume you mean the movement was stamped? Is it the star and garter symbol or just the word? Any resemblance to known L. Brandt calibers?
    Yes to the first two questions.

I am - as are many of us - extremely well acquainted with the Ω iterations. I would however, be hard pressed to distinguish between "Brandt" calibers and the common ebauches of the day save for those movements whose dna was unmistakeably obvious in the later products of the grand scheme.

The movement in question is of bar design and of only upper middling quality in execution and appointment. Not embarassing for a house, but perhaps obtainable in this state (or near this finish) from an ebauche supplier. The case - .800 silver - bears the grouse and a short funnel or upturned horn.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information