Any info on this Tobias pocket watch movement?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By radger

Thread: Any info on this Tobias pocket watch movement?

Any info on this Tobias pocket watch movement?

I'm not asking for a value estimate but was wondering if anyone could tell me about this movement. I bought it on a whim and won it for .99 cents plus shipping, but had planned on getting a case to go with it and only ended up with the movement.

It was advertised as a Tobias 35mm, key wind, key set, 17 jewel nickel movement, with a Breguet hairspring and top-screw stud, capped escape gold setting, counter-poised steel lever, glass enamel dial (with a few hairline cracks) and supposed to be running well on a partial winding. The only thing I see wrong with it is that it's missing the minute hand, the hour and second hands are intact on the dial. I don't have a key for it either.

If it's worth messing with I can get a case for it later on. If not it will still be worth having IMO, if it just sits in a box and I take it out and look at it once in a while. Thanks in advance for any information you can school me with on the subject.

I have several wrist watches that I don't even wear and have developed a renewed interest in pocket watches lately. I used to have an awesome Hamilton pocket watch when I was a teenager that I still regret selling to this day and have a couple Soviet era Molnija pocket watches being shipped to me now.
    Last edited by OCDood; May 27th, 2013 at 09:53.

Re: Any info on this Tobias pocket watch movement?

Hi,

That is a great bargain to buy this movement for 99c.

The style of this movement is of the type which was made in the Locle region of Switzerland and
    is commonly associated with Jules Jurgensen....but there were many makers of this type in fact.

The maker possibly signed this movement, usualy beneath a bridge rather than beneath the dial on the
    dial plate. It is of very high quality, dating from Circa 1860. With its large compensated balance and
    high quality escapement, it has the capability of being a superb timekeeper no doubt.

I have a High grade Locle made watch which I posted in this thread with a critique of the quality....

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/up-...ch-461425.html

Although my watch is later in date it will give you an idea of quality and attention to detail which Swiss
    artisans were capable, there are also other Locle watches posted in that thread and the design style
    is quite obvious.
    HOROLOGIST007 and OCDood like this.

Thanks a lot, radger, I appreciate it, I'll have to study the post you linked to in more detail when I'm fully awake.

I had bid on a beautiful Tobias engraved case and jumped the gun a little in bidding on the movement, but now I don't feel so bad about it. Somebody outbid me on the casing but I was the only one that bid on the movement. It was 2 different sales though and I don't think the case would have fit it anyway now that I think about it.

I have a casing size guide but am not sure what a 35mm movement would take. If it's as nice as you say it is though I'll have to invest in one when it gets here, if you could advise me on what you think it would take to fit it:

Code:
    Size (Lancashire) Inches      Millimeters

20s               1 5/6       46.56
    18s Common        1 23/30     44.86
    17s               1 22/30     44.02
    16s Common        1 21/30     43.18
    14s Common        1 19/30     41.48
    12s Common        1 17/30     39.78
    10s Common        1 15/30     38.10
    8s Common         1 13/30     36.40
    6s Common         1 11/30     34.70
    0s Common         1 5/30      29.62
    3/0s Common       1 3/30      27.94
    The seller stated it had been factory ground on the right hand side to fit a case, and you can see in his pix where a little had been taken off the edge of the dial, so I'm guessing a Size 6. I have a picture of it but will post some of my own once it arrives.

I miss the Hamilton pocket watch I used to have and this is a way for me to make it right with myself for selling it so long ago.
    Last edited by OCDood; May 27th, 2013 at 13:51.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Tobias,

It's possible that the movement will fit a standardised keywind American case but I don't know for sure, a case might need modification.
    Exacting measurements will have to be taken and idealy the winding and setting holes in the inner cover should
    line up or new holes will have to be cut.
    New hands should not be a problem and the movement will need to be serviced if it is to be brought back into use.

I've looked at a couple Size 6 cases online but I don't know enough about pocket watches to be able to tell for sure what will and won't fit it. I'd probably be better off taking it in to my local jeweler to see what he thinks and what he would charge to service it. I don't want to end up doing irreparable damage to it trying to come up with something to fit it, or waste money on something that isn't right for that size movement.

I did however see the resemblance to the movements in the post you directed me to. Thanks again for the assistance.

My pocket watch movement arrived today. It's 35mm across and 34mm where some has been taken off the side to fit a case:

I took it to the jeweler I normally go to and he didn't have any pocket watch parts or know anything about it. He seemed to think it would cost more than it was worth to get it going and I told him I'd do it myself and just wanted a key and a hand for it. He's an ass anyway.

The guy I ended up taking it to thought it looked pretty nice, then asked me what I knew about it. I got the feeling he already knew and was asking to see if he could take advantage of me. I told him what radger advised me about it and his jaw hit the floor when I told him I paid .99 cents for it. So much for that... I'm supposed to go back and see him tomorrow when his associate is there and he might have a key and hand for it.

He wound it up for me at 4pm, it did take a Size 6 key at 1.4mm, and it's still running like a top 11.5 hours later. I looked online and I might be able to pick up a case for it that has a broken mechanism, hands and all, pretty cheap if I work it right. I may just wait till I can afford to get a really nice one though. It's running but it's not going anywhere.

Edit. It's still running this morning at 8:50am, approximately 15 hours after he wound it yesterday afternoon.
    Last edited by OCDood; June 6th, 2013 at 15:49.

Thread Information