Any knowledge about this 1930's Zenith?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mkws

Thread: Any knowledge about this 1930's Zenith?

Any knowledge about this 1930's Zenith?

Hi, I thinking of buying this old Zenith wristwatch. Seller says it's from the 30's and by the looks of it it sounds reliable.

Because I haven't bought it yet I can't open it and take a pic from the movement but all possible information about this model would be highly apreciated.

It's only 28mm in diameter excluding the crown and currently not working. I'm still tempted to buy it because it seems to be quite rare and price is quite cheap...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Any knowledge about this 1930's Zenith?

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by Kaappikello View Post
    ...and currently not working. I'm still tempted to buy it because it seems to be quite rare and price is quite cheap...
    You consider to buy a not running watch without seeing the movement? Wow, that's courageous!

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Yeah, I do get your point but as I wrote it's cheap. And It's not just some seller on ebay either... Sometimes it pays out to take changes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

On the outside, it looks kosher, gut feeling tells me it's OK. Dr. Ranfft is right- it is unwise to buy without movement pictures, especially if it isn't running. You don't know if the movement is just dirty, is it blocked by rust, is the balance stuff or hairspring messed up, or is the movement there at all. If you're risking little, you can of course take a gamble and go for it- sometimes taking chances pays off. I don't think I've bought a watch without looking at the movement since I've bought my very first vintage watch (the '39 Tissot). This time, risking it did work, but back then I was a complete and utter rookie, and I have never taken my chances like that again with any other watch.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Weeelllll, yellowed crystal looks original.
    Dial looks original (who'd go to the trouble of redialing and not replace the crystal.)
    Dial is clean. With the exception of some slight shadowing 3-4 o'clock and maybe something around 6, but I think that could be the crystal.

So from this, you could infer that it is likely to have an original movement and that the watch has not been subjected to water damage.

Thread Information