Any military history enthusiasts interested in baseball here ?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By gatorcpa
  • 2 Post By gatorcpa

Thread: Any military history enthusiasts interested in baseball here ?

Rolling eyes Any military history enthusiasts interested in baseball here ?

A friend of mine owns a nice little watch which could be the dream of a ebay seller: cold war, military and baseball . Objectively its just a simple civil handwinding wrist watch with a otero 44 (bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Otero 44 ) inside:
    Name:  thirdinfWerk gereinigt.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  165.9 KB

But it looks differend:

Name:  thirdinfuhr.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  96.0 KB

This dial was probably specially made for a baseball event 1961:

Name:  Thirdinscr.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  81.9 KB

THe USAREUR & South Eastern Baseball Champs

"THIRD INF DIV" stands for the Tird infantry Division with the nickname "Rock of marne" depending on their history in the WW1 1918 in france.The blue and white striped spuare is the badge of this unit. Already in 1945 the European Championships U.S. Army took place.

Name:  thirdbaseball-1.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  43.8 KB

Here a handout for Nürnberg 1945 on the soldiers field (the former Zeppelin-field a part of the former nazie "reichparteitags" terrain ). But germany is still "soccer land" and therefore he didn't get any informations about the USAREUR Baseball 1961 and where it was happen. I thought it might be possible that someone over here could help. Does anyone have a idea if this watch was she something like sponsoring, merchandise or a award for sucsessful baseball ?

Kind regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; August 9th, 2014 at 22:01.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Re: Any military histotry enthusiasts interested in baseball here ?

I have no interest in sport, but that is a fantastic piece of Horology.

What exactly does it say on the dail? I got 'THIRD', what is second part?

Thank
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Hi Adam,
    You have to split the dial while reading: upper half "Third" left quarter: "INF" and right quarter: "DIV" seperatet by their badge...short form of "Third Infantory Division"

Kind regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; August 9th, 2014 at 22:07.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Got it.
    I am thick. Sorry
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Any military history enthusiasts interested in baseball here ?

It's 'THIRD INF DIV', as described by Silke.

Best
    Tomcat
    Last edited by Tomcat1960; August 9th, 2014 at 22:11.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Re: Any military history enthusiasts interested in baseball here ?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkeN View Post
    This dial was probably specially made for a baseball event 1961:

THe USAREUR & South Eastern Baseball Champs

"THIRD INF DIV" stands for the Tird infantry Division with the nickname "Rock of marne" depending on their history in the WW1 1918 in france.The blue and white striped spuare is the badge of this unit. Already in 1945 the European Championships U.S. Army took place.

Here a handout for Nürnberg 1945 on the soldiers field (the former Zeppelin-field a part of the former nazie "reichparteitags" terrain ). But germany is still "soccer land" and therefore he didn't get any informations about the USAREUR Baseball 1961 and where it was happen. I thought it might be possible that someone over here could help. Does anyone have a idea if this watch was she something like sponsoring, merchandise or a award for sucsessful baseball ?
    I don't entirely understand your question, but I can tell you that all US military bases in (West) Germany at that time had American sports teams. Some of these military bases were huge, hundreds of thousands of troops, plus their families. These teams competed on base and then, if they were good enough, against other bases, eventually for the championship of the entire branch of the service (Army, Marines, etc.). After that, the branches sent their best to one location for a playoff. These competitions started when WWII ended in 1945. Since there were several million US servicemen in Germany from 1945 through most of the 1960's, these championships were a pretty big deal.

Many of the players were world-class athletes prior to being drafted, so sometimes these teams were good enough to complete against major league baseball teams. Sometimes they did play exhibition games when the pro teams would tour Europe after the regular season.

If you wanted to research more about a specific tournament, a good place to do research would be the "Stars and Stripes" newspaper.

Stripes - Independent U.S. military news

It was distributed to US military bases around the world, so see if you can stick to the Germany edition.

I purchased a military style Omega some years ago with a similar story.

My correspondence with the family of the original owner mentioned that this is a basketball, not a baseball. Research in "Stars and Stripes" shows that there was a military basketball tournament that was held in Wiesbaden in March 1946:

The All-Stars of the Wiesbaden AFB won the championship of the USAFE (US Air Forces in Europe), then lost in the overall US military tournament later on.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    Last edited by gatorcpa; August 9th, 2014 at 22:40.
    HOROLOGIST007, SilkeN and redcow like this.

Thanks a lot for the link. I think we can fish missing informations there. You've answered a lot of my/his questions. Sorry about my english. I meant that we even have no idea about the purpose of this watch. Maybe it was sold as a souvenier to fans to refresh the internal petty cash or spend by a sponsor for the whole company. For the champions of a pretty big dial, as you wrote, this gold filled Otero seems to be a bit too common.

Kind regards Silke

P.S. Nice Omega

First result: Darmstadt 1961 Thanks....
    Last edited by SilkeN; August 9th, 2014 at 23:27.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkeN View Post
    For the champions of a pretty big dial, as you wrote, this gold filled Otero seems to be a bit too common.
    It was a big deal for the men, they just didn't have the budget for high-end watches. The dial was likely done on base by someone who was a dial refinisher in civilian life.

Remember that any 17 jeweled watch was considered a high-tech item then, just like a computer or smartphone would be today.

I think that watch was awarded to the winners of the baseball tournament.
    gatorcpa
    HOROLOGIST007 and SilkeN like this.

Thanks again .

21 jewels for the winner . I'm guess you're right. This is my fault and thus whlie I'm always praying : Hey guys this poket watch is simple and only a few dollars worth nowadays but think about 1890. Who could afford it and how long a joe sixpack has to stint for the one watch in his live. I feel ashamed even 1961 very differend from nowadays.

Kind regards Silke

Thread Information