Any opinions on Mido Multiform quality, build, performance, etc?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Any opinions on Mido Multiform quality, build, performance, etc?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Any opinions on Mido Multiform quality, build, performance, etc?

I have a chance to buy a quite stunning Mido day/date 'gyromatic which fits in nicely with my current area of collecting. It has an 1147 ocd[?] movement in it which I know nothing about. Just want to know if anybody has an idea of where a 60s Mido would sit in relation to other mass-marketed Swiss luxury brands. Is it on par with Eterna or closer to Longines/Omega in the 60s? Have never owned a Mido and if it weren't for the fact it looks like an almost exact twin to an unusual King Seikp I have been trying to bargain down unsuccessfully-I probably wouldn't have asked seller anything. But since the KS is not happening for <$500 I'm willing to expand my horizons. Pics will follow if I pursue further. thanks for any help
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Any opinions on Mido Multiform quality, build, performance, etc?

Here is that movement. According to Ranfft, it was made specially for the Mido Ocean Star so maybe it shouldn't appear in a Multiform.....

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Mido 1147OCD (AS 1831)

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Here is that movement. According to Ranfft, it was made specially for the Mido Ocean Star so maybe it shouldn't appear in a Multiform.....

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Mido 1147OCD (AS 1831)

Hartmut Richter
    Thanks. spell check got it wrong.Its: Mido Multiforte. Do you know if this was built by Mido, or some collaboration with other watch companies? Does Mido have a reputation for, well, anything?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What I can tell you (from adverts)
    Is that MIDO were sold by Hermes at a higher price than Rolex.

In my opinion - great watches and great innovators

Regards
    busmatt likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    Does Mido have a reputation for, well, anything?
    Well, though it isn't widely known, many of their mid-20th century cases were outstanding – as good or better than most manufacturers that are held in higher regard. They also designed beautiful dials, though many of their watches were quite small by today's standards.

Their Multicenterchrono was very innovative, and outstanding in virtually every respect.

I don't have an opinion about their post-'50s models, so I can't really speak to your main question, but I own plenty from the '40s and '50s, and believe them to be undervalued.
    DaBaeker and busmatt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    Well, though it isn't widely known, many of their mid-20th century cases were outstanding – as good or better than most manufacturers that are held in higher regard. They also designed beautiful dials, though many of their watches were quite small by today's standards.

Their Multicenterchrono was very innovative, and outstanding in virtually every respect.

I don't have an opinion about their post-'50s models, so I can't really speak to your main question, but I own plenty from the '40s and '50s, and believe them to be undervalued.
    thanks for that. I keep getting the name wrong. Its a Mido Multi-Star dato-day gryomatic. It is quite beautiful and with a cushion case I suspect it is a mid-60s earliest and maybe up to a '73. I was surprised at how beautiful the build quality looks in the hd pics. It compares favorably to the King Seiko's I have been concentrating on-maybe even a bit nicer. plus-seller just emailed he just remembered-he has the box, papers and original receipt. Its going to be a long hard 6 days. I have to choose between this Mido, a KS '69, an gorgeous 50s Eterna
    busmatt likes this.

Mido is a lovely watch, the factory was very innovative and ahead of it's time what comes to waterresistance. Mido did not make their own movements, but was one of those powerful factories that got movements which were not sold to others (special features). At 60's A.Schild made movements, they were special versions with 2 bit stems. In fact the outer bit of the stem and crown are one part.
    Mido's top model at 60's was Ocean Star. A monoq case (no case back, one bit case) with natural rubber gasget built into the case, no gasget at the crown itself. A very waterproof model (30m) compered to compitators at the time. Mido has a special crown no other crown do not do. Opening the watch is different to other brands, you can't pull crown out. Also Mido has it's own tension plexiglass, like Omega or Eterna it is signed at center. Mido Ocean Star glass is much flatter than normal glass and has lume gots at tensionring. Mido's case parts, especially crowns are hard to find parts. Make sure everything is there and do not need replacement if you buy Mido.
    Mido's main brand names are Ocean Star and Multifort, also second brand names like Commander, Powerwind etc. Multi Star is a hybrid of Multifort and Ocean Star.
    70's Midos are not quite the same class, they are with ETA 2834 movements, that are more accurate, but construction of the stem that a normal 2 bit stem, causes problems.
    laikrodukas and busmatt like this.

I also like Mido pronounced Me - do.

I have two of them, a Multifort and an Ocean Star. As a company they where quite the innovator. The Multicenterchrono mentioned earlier displayed timing with a sweep second hand. The Radiotime wristwatch could be synchronised with the radio time signal and I understand the Ocean Star was the first wristwatch in a monocoque case.

Eterna is also a wonderful brand so you have a difficult choice between the two...mmmm.

Regards,
    Last edited by James A; August 7th, 2015 at 10:22.

Is the real question which one will appreciate more in value? Two are oddly undervalued, I think. Mido never seems to catch fire with collectors, no idea why. Great looking matches, with very good movements. Now a Swatch Group company, so I suppose they don't get the attention and support that other stablemates enjoy. Eterna are also undervalued, although less so than Mido, I think.

In the case of Seiko, they are pouring money into the premium market and sooner or later this will change perception. Personally, I like some of their watches, but I feel that their market values are just about where they should be, a bit high relative to other brands, in my own opinion (as someone who owns many Lordmatics…). Seiko seem to be the brand many collectors get snobby about, but their history is interesting and they sure enough know how to produce volumes of reliable watches. I get that their movement finish is inelegant, but they do what they're supposed to.

For my vintage money, I'd buy 1. Eterna 2. Seiko 3. Mido. I can't help but feel that the sun will shine on Eterna one day. Seiko prices are already moving upwards. Mido? Why don't more people like these watches? I confess that I own a Mido Multi-Star datoday, which is a whacking heavy 1970s TV watch and love it. What can I say? You know you really need to have them all, each and every one of them. They really suit your lifestyle, Sir. And Sir suits them, too.
    Last edited by Habitant; August 8th, 2015 at 13:21.

Midos are really nice but somehow I fail to get one... mechanical..
    I got one, a quartz one :D Waiting for me in post
    busmatt likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information