Any thoughts about this Girrard Perregaux Gyromatic?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By kcfran
  • 3 Post By Habitant

Thread: Any thoughts about this Girrard Perregaux Gyromatic?

Any thoughts about this Girrard Perregaux Gyromatic?

Hello everyone! I'm new here and would just like to ask about this watch I bought a year ago.

The person I bought it from said it's from the 1950s. 17 jewels, caliber 47AE. I just want to know if this was a good purchase or not so I can do better the next time I do decide to buy a vintage watch.

The first photo was taken by me while the ones of the inside are from the seller as I've never opened a watch in my life and am afraid to do so.

The crystal is supposed to be new, but when I took it out of the box again, there were cracks already on the edges. Any idea how this could happen? I never dropped it unless someone else did and never told me. :(

Thank you!

Name:  GP dial.JPG
Views: 230
Size:  1.04 MB
    Name:  inside.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  249.0 KB
    Name:  cover.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  442.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

mmarc77 and bsshog40 like this.

Re: Any thoughts about this Girrard Perregaux Gyromatic?

Welcome to the forums!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

hello, mpalmer :)

i didn't realize i didn't get to remove the photos with the seller's contact details. i hope that's not a problem. i can't seem to figure out how to edit my previous post...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome! Hard to know what sort of feedback you're looking for. The base watch movement is a good and well-respected one, and it looks clean and in good condition here. The dial and hands have been refinished; to most in the collecting community here, this reduces the value of the watch as a collectible. Obviously, though, it's an attractive watch and should give you much wearing pleasure, so enjoy!

The cracked crystal is probably not your fault. It's hard to speculate as to exact causes, but I'd guess the someone misjudged the size of the new crystal needed and rammed one in that's a little too large, damaging the edge. Pure speculation on my part, as I've never had that happen to me, at least not with this type of crystal. They may have simply polished the original one and refitted it; the crystal would be quite brittle and the edges can crumble when you refit it - this has happened to me, so… more pure speculation. In any event, a crystal for this watch is only a few bucks or kroner or quid or whatever monetary unit you call home. An easy task for a decent watchmaker and inexpensive to remedy.

Even if you'd cropped out the seller's name, his background is his trademark and anyone who's hunted for vintage watches on eBay knows this outfit well. This is one of their more restrained re-dials. There's plenty of guidance here on buying good vintage watches and plenty of support on offer and I hope that you'll become an active member of this community of enthusiasts. If you're interested in something, just post about it here and there will be plenty of folks out there with the experience and enthusiasm to help out.

PS At the bottom of your post you'll see the words "Edit Post," which when clicked, permits you to go back in and edit.
    Last edited by Habitant; November 19th, 2015 at 13:53.
    bobbee, AaronMckay and bsshog40 like this.

Thank you so much, Habitant! I really appreciate your comments on the watch.

I feel a bit bad I bought a redialed watch but I just learned more about redialing AFTER I got the watch. My bad. I still have a lot to learn! I really just bought it because I liked how it looked.

Thank you again for your time. :)

Don't feel bad, it's a pretty good job. At least you didn't buy one of his kelly green Hamiltons! It's not far off the original, which I believe would have been white, rather than silver.

GPs are a bit of a problem area, because a lot of (particularly South American) dealers got into them and did some very enthusiastic dials, masonic symbols, erotic symbols, playing cards, you name it. If you're really concerned, then you can set your eBay search engine to return searches for NOS dials (there's a great NOS Gyromatic w/date at the moment, very expensive), but the problem is that most of them are pretty dubious, ie not necessarily authentic. Not to mention that you will chasing negative numbers on this one, as I guess you paid retail and so… but do enjoy, don't dwell on what might have been.

Quote Originally Posted by kcfran View Post
    Thank you so much, Habitant! I really appreciate your comments on the watch.

I feel a bit bad I bought a redialed watch but I just learned more about redialing AFTER I got the watch. My bad. I still have a lot to learn! I really just bought it because I liked how it looked.

Thank you again for your time. :)

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

In actual fact, the movement is a Cal. 47 BF which is basically the same as the first rotor automatic for general use by ETA (Cal. 1256):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Girard-Perregaux 47BF (ETA 1256)

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information