Any thoughts on this vintage Longines?

Thread: Any thoughts on this vintage Longines?

Any thoughts on this vintage Longines?

Hello all. Came across this on the bay:

beautiful vintage Longines wristwatch on eBay (end time 02-Dec-10 22:28:50 GMT)

Had a look for the 12.68z movement, and whilst little known, it seems like it's pretty good. But I've never seen a Longines watch with this kind of case, and the dial looks like it's been completely refurbished/replaced. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, potentially a good buy, or one to steer clear of?

Banned

Re: Any thoughts on this vintage Longines?

The 12.68 is a great movement, and that one is from 1945 / 46. The case is one usually used for military watches. You are correct that the dial has been refinished. It's very nice, but has no value to a collector since it's lost any hint of originality. I'd pass, but that's me. It isn't a bad looking watch and could be worn daily if it was properly serviced.

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    The 12.68 is a great movement, and that one is from 1945 / 46. The case is one usually used for military watches. You are correct that the dial has been refinished. It's very nice, but has no value to a collector since it's lost any hint of originality. I'd pass, but that's me. It isn't a bad looking watch and could be worn daily if it was properly serviced.
    Thanks for the info ulackfocus. Despite the re-dial, as you say would be a decent enough piece for daily wear, but the price has gone higher than it warrants it seems. Pass.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MasterMark View Post
    Had a look for the 12.68z movement, and whilst little known, it seems like it's pretty good.
    I would have said this movement was rather well known, if not downright famous

I don't like that redial - it isn't sympathetic imo, glad you are passing.

Just looks a bit too fresh to me!! An original dial will look so much better imo

Thread Information