Any value in vintage Chopard ?

Thread: Any value in vintage Chopard ?

Any value in vintage Chopard ?

My mother inherited some pocket watches (of which I got the nicest Omega that still runs) and she wants to find out more about this one. I've only found that it's a Chopard, silver casing. When it was imported to Sweden they added/rebranded the name to Bikupan (the beehive). The spring looks like it's broken, so she's not sure if she should have something done with it, depending on the value...

Anyone have any thoughts on the value, and more about the piece??

(Sorry about the crappy quality of the photos. Only had my mobile available)

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Any value in vintage Chopard ?

Well, quite apart form the fact that it's a Chopard, it's a good watch! Even the centre wheel is jewelled - far from standard in its day! The hairspring looks from here like it's got Breguet overcoil, the movement and rest of the watch are in good state - looks like it ought to be worth a new mainspring!

Hartmut Richter

Hi -

As always, we do not do valuations. There are two sticky posts at the top of the forum to explain why not: it isn't fair to you for us to make any sort of assessment.

The best you can do is check with eBay to see about similar watches. Given the relative rarity of this one, though, it may not be that easy...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As stated by JohnF we don't give valuations. We do however give advice on whether something should be worth fixing.
    And in this case I agree with Hartmut.
    (1) It's a good brand name. Chopard has been around since 1860.
    (2) The watch is of fine quality and an antique.
    (3) It's a family heirloom.
    (4) Hard to tell from photos but it looks in pretty good condition.
    If it were mine, I'd have it in at my watchmaker in a heartbeat.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Sorry, missed that sticky... Personally I wouldn't really care much about the value, but I would be interested in knowing more about it, getting a feel for how chopard pieces in general are etc...

Yep, I agree on those points. The problem though is that my moms idea of "a nice watch" is a no-name goldplated quartz, which is quite opposite of the omega or rolex automatic I suggested to her when she asked me on advice about buying a really good gold watch...

I'll try to convince her about the chopard, or persuade her to hand it on to a close relative of hers that appreciates other values than the price

Well, some people are happy with cars that start, stop, and go between places and that's all they want... sounds like your mom's quartz watches. Who is to say they are wrong? At least they don't have to give presents at Christmas time to their car mechanics
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Personally I don't suggest automatics/wind-ups to anyone except watch buffs. I use quartz all the time for reliability and accuracy. Most women I know would be happier with something that just works and doesn't need to be cleaned and lubed every 5 years or so.
    The Chopard is an antique mechanical pocket watch and I don't think your mother would care if it works or not. Why not take it yourself and get it fixed for your own collection?
    Here's some info on Chopard from their website.
    http://chopard.com/worldwide/fl/historyfl.htm

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Using the car analogy, if the cheap quartz was a Chevy, the Chopard would be a Rolls Royce

Thread Information